• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul1990
    Visitor
    • Feb 2017

Clear command

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a script to automate a backup of a few different folders.

I'm mirroring 4 hard drives, to a NAS.

So far my script looks like this:
    load "E:" "\\STURUGE\Files"

expand all

sync mirror:left->right

That seems to work OK. But now I want to mirror my F drive.

Do I need to put some sort of clear command in after the sync? Or could I just run the following:

load "E:" "\\STURUGE\Files"

expand all

load "F:" "\\STURUGE\Stock"

expand all

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The script would execute sequentially and the following load command would load the new folder pair in without needing a "clear".

However, a Sync Mirror is potentially destructive (will delete any unaligned orphans on the destination), so it is recommended to first test using example test folders in the graphical interface so you can preview the alignment and comparison and see how the script will behave. You can load a Folder Compare (Actions menu -> Synchronize) or Folder Sync session to preview the Sync logic before committing the Sync Mirror.

Once it is working there, I recommend scripting with test folders first to make sure your script is configured correctly. Once that's working, it's then a simple swap of your Live folders to get the automated sync working.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Paul1990
      Visitor
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

The script would execute sequentially and the following load command would load the new folder pair in without needing a "clear".

However, a Sync Mirror is potentially destructive (will delete any unaligned orphans on the destination), so it is recommended to first test using example test folders in the graphical interface so you can preview the alignment and comparison and see how the script will behave. You can load a Folder Compare (Actions menu -> Synchronize) or Folder Sync session to preview the Sync logic before committing the Sync Mirror.

Once it is working there, I recommend scripting with test folders first to make sure your script is configured correctly. Once that's working, it's then a simple swap of your Live folders to get the automated sync working.
      Thanks for clearing that up!

So if I am mirroring from A->B, you are saying that any new files on B (which are not on the A drive), will be deleted?

Cheers

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Yes, sync mirror:left->right will delete files that only exist on the right side (right orphans). The command sync update:left->right is safer because it doesn't delete files that only exist on the right.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...