Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data Compare Info (Ctrl+i) - can this detail be output via scripting options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Compare Info (Ctrl+i) - can this detail be output via scripting options?

When I do a folder compare, I might have 50 files across 10 folders, so I have a total of 500 files. I really find the information useful that you get when you press Ctrl+i (showing the summary of matches, diffs, orphans, etc.). However, I haven't found a way to get this without opening each file - which is a lot of time for 500 files.

Is there an easier way to get this detail in the GUI? If not, can this be scripted to be output via the CLI option Beyond Compare offers?

Thanks in advance for any input!

In the GUI, you can use a combination of Display Filters to limit the view to only differences, then Edit menu -> Expand All, and Edit menu -> Select All Files. With a selection of only files, you can then Actions menu or right-click -> File Compare Report. This is the same report that you could generate by clicking into file pairs, but all at once. The Summary layout is pretty close to the Info results, but you can test any layout or options combination.

If the option is greyed out, it means you accidentally have an archive/folder selected. Ctrl+Click to remove it from the selection or set a file name filter to exclude the archives to prevent their selection.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Aaron, let me check, for some reason I thought it wasn't giving me the level of detail but perhaps I haven't tried the File Compare Report options enough. Let me test it again. What I like about the Info option is it tells me if I'm testing lets say baseline / regression file compare, the percentage of matches, percentage of differences, and orphans. I'll play around with the File Compare Report and let you know, thanks again!

Comment

Hello,

The Info report dialog and Report, Layout summary both show the number of lines, but don't display a percentage. But if you are still having any issues, please post a screenshot of your info dialog that you'd like to match in a report, and I can help come up with the closest settings to match. You can post here, or email privately at support@scootersoftware.com with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron - just wanted to follow-up. The method you explained works perfect, exactly what I was looking for using the Summary option (gives me exactly what I wanted from the Ctrl+i option, all at once). Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
          X