X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

14050 Data Compare - column sort

I can find no way to choose the columns(s) for sorting. Unless I have missed this command, please consider adding it. Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

The sorted columns are the Key or combination of Key columns. Sorting effects the current comparison/alignment.

We do not have a method of toggle to ascend or descend the list at this time.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

> Sorting effects the current comparison/alignment.

Thanks, but that often messes up the comparison. What I need is to sort the results without changing the comparison - as in a regular Windows data grid view such as Explorer's file list.

Comment

• purchase
        Enthusiast
        • Oct 2011

So does this answer my two tasks / questions in the other thread yesterday?

- Is there NO sorting of textlines, but only column sort, for MS Excel files, etc.?

- Is there NO putting together in a block / selecting-only-the-differences from a comparison, in order to process them further?

Please see the details in the other thread (left without any answer up to now), the problem in point 2) here and there is, if you have got a bunch of differences, if there is no grouping / export of those differences, you'll have to process them 1 by 1, manually, dozens or hundreds of lines, writing them down on a sheet of paper (or copying those lines 1 by 1 into the clipboard, then pasting them 1 by 1 into the target application, with one shuffling forth and back from BC to that target application for every single result line - which is not better than writing the lines on paper), than process them within the other program. That cannot be it.
        Last edited by purchase; 11-Nov-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by purchase
          So does this answer my two tasks / questions in the other thread yesterday?

- Is there NO sorting of textlines, but only column sort, for MS Excel files, etc.?

- Is there NO putting together in a block / selecting-only-the-differences from a comparison, in order to process them further?

Please see the details in the other thread (left without any answer up to now), the problem in point 2) here and there is, if you have got a bunch of differences, if there is no grouping / export of those differences, you'll have to process them 1 by 1, manually, dozens or hundreds of lines, writing them down on a sheet of paper (or copying those lines 1 by 1 into the clipboard, then pasting them 1 by 1 into the target application, with one shuffling forth and back from BC to that target application for every single result line - which is not better than writing the lines on paper), than process them within the other program. That cannot be it.
          Hello Purchase,

No, this is not really related to your other request. You were looking for the Sorted file format, and there is not way to sort on just paragraphs. You can use multiple Text Compare's, and Copy/Paste or Open Clipboard to compare paragraphs in their own new tabs.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist notes.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• purchase
              Enthusiast
              • Oct 2011

Hello Aaron,

This was a misunderstanding. I always meant paragraphs and lines as synonyms, except for my special problem with paragraph titles I wanted so cut from the rest of a paragraph and into a leading line. Please allow for a general opinion: Having had a look at some contenders, I think your "micro compare" features are outstanding, by "micro" I mean regex,etc. sort of detail compare within the context of a character / word ("is considered equal/not equal"); most contenders are far less powerful here.

But on the "macro" compare level, i.e. the lines processing level, BC is weaker than some contenders. So on this level, there is a little bit of a catch-up work to do. This being said insisting on my liking of BC! ;-)

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

The difference between concepts, like paragraphs, is something on our long term wishlist. We're looking into it, but it'll be some time before we can compare them. "Lines" in BC3 has a very literal meaning, and would refer to the beginning of a line up to the end of line character (which can be shown with Visible Whitespace enabled).
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by chrisjj
                  What I need is to sort the results without changing the comparison - as in a regular Windows data grid view such as Explorer's file list.
                  Please?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks, Chris. This suggestion is on our customer wishlist.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

I was hoping to hear of a solution but I take it from that there's none currently. OK, I'll wait Thanks, Aaron.

Comment

Working...