X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sobrero_d
    New User
    • Aug 2013

Beyond Compare 3 on Synology NAS

Is their any plans on developing Beyond Compare to work with NAS solutions like the Synology that has a backend Linux OS?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

BC3 generally works with NAS devices by connecting to them as a bound drive letter (d:\) or as a network share (\\name\folder). I assume Synology devices would support either or both of these methods, allowing BC3 to browse and sync the device?

Or are you looking to have BC3 installed to the device itself? We wouldn't be able to run on the device without X-Windows:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...z=kb_linuxtips
    Are you connecting the device to a Windows PC or Linux? We could easily have a Windows Portable Install on the device, which can then be run from the Windows machine you connect to. A Linux portable install is not officially supported, but we might be able to get one working with a modified launch script, the bcompare folder, and a BCState.xml within that folder.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JNRII
      Visitor
      • Nov 2012

Is x11 a good enough X-Window Client?

Currently, I run Beyond Compare via my Samba share on my Synology boxes. I have a 1512+, and an 1813+.

At the end of this weekend, I hope to have filled both with 4tb drives. Needless to say, backup via my 1gb network, even if I Link Aggregate the NICs, will be slow. Since they both have USB 3.0 and eSata ports, it would be best to backup directly. Even if there are faster, Beyond Compare is still my hands down favorite due to reliability.

The Synology boxes are ARM processors with Linux. During my research, I found comments about installing ipkg/optware and then using the x11 package. Is that compatible? I see I need an 'x-window client', but I cannot figure which would be acceptable for Beyond Compare.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Sorry, Beyond Compare for Linux only runs on Intel architecture processors, it isn't supported on ARM processors.

You'll need to run Beyond Compare on a supported platform (Windows or Linux), then connect to the Synology devices by LAN, USB, or eSata.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Grubsy
          New User
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Chris
          Sorry, Beyond Compare for Linux only runs on Intel architecture processors, it isn't supported on ARM processors.
          I'm also very interested in this. Would love a Synology App/Package. Just ordered the DS1515+ which runs on an Intel Atom C2538

Would be really handy for syncing between 2 Synology devices. No need for a Windows PC in between slowing down the transfers

Comment

• sobrero_d
            New User
            • Aug 2013

Beyond compare for synology

Originally posted by Grubsy
            I'm also very interested in this. Would love a Synology App/Package. Just ordered the DS1515+ which runs on an Intel Atom C2538

Would be really handy for syncing between 2 Synology devices. No need for a Windows PC in between slowing down the transfers
            I also would like to see this as a package for the Synology the beyond compare would add a lot of this community. and we are seeing a lot of 3rd party add packages like Plex and it has been great for both companies.

My DS1815+ Intel Atom C2538 64-bit Quad Core 2.4 GHz

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4 supports Windows, Linux, and OSX, so any supported desktop (32bit or 64bit) could help perform this sync. If the tools exist to help this port, we could consider this, but it is likely not a feature we would be able to tackle any time soon.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• goopaga
                New User
                • Nov 2015

Great news Aaron, here's the dev suite......

Originally posted by Aaron
                Hello,

BC4 supports Windows, Linux, and OSX, so any supported desktop (32bit or 64bit) could help perform this sync. If the tools exist to help this port, we could consider this, but it is likely not a feature we would be able to tackle any time soon.

Hi Aaron, I'm a great fan of BC and as a Synology NAS owner this is exactly the product I'm looking for in order to cross check regular file transfers to and from the unit and within the unit.

There's a Synology site for developers ( https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/developer) with all the info and resources you should need in order to generate spk packages (Proprietary Synology app packages, but open as you can see).

I really would love to see a move on this from Scooter Software.

Thanks for your support.

Best Regards

Paolo

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4 is written in Delphi, which can make some projects like this difficult. Our current tools do not support this type of deployment, and the way we are currently setup requires X-Windows, but it's something we'll consider as the tools we use are enhanced. However, it's not something we can currently tackle.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DaveYHZ
                    New User
                    • May 2017

Has anyone investigated installing BC4 in a docker container? I was able to install CrashPlan there (headless linux install)

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We haven't tested BC4 in a docker container. Beyond Compare for Linux still requires an X-Window session, so if your Docker container is headless and you don't have an X-Window client connected to it, Beyond Compare will not run.

Usually if you're working on a Linux system without X-Window, it's best to just install Beyond Compare on a supported operating system (Windows, Linux, macOS), then access the system via FTP, SFTP, or Samba.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• aebas
                        Visitor
                        • Apr 2018

I must say I really agree to goopaga. BC is a great tool. I use it almost everyday at my work to compare files and sometimes also to make smaller modifications to textfiles. In the Synology case it would be great to have it as a package direct on the device, most for performance reasons. Comparing huge files (possibly identical) to find duplicates, where the files sits in the NAS would be very slow if running BC on a computer on the network. Transferring both files over a network (either mounted shares or ftp or whatever) for the comparison takes a long time for big files, much more efficient if it could execute on the device and accessing local files.

BC contains a lot of useful features but maybe a subset of those could be ported to the Synology environment, that's probably enough for most of us.

Thanks!

Comment

• widmark
                          New User
                          • May 2018

It's not perfect, but I am running BC4 on a Synology NAS Virtual Machine with Xubuntu. I'm using it to compare file transfers between 2 NASes as there have been some surprising missed files using ftp transfer even with checksum selected. Synology doesn't include a robust folder/file comparison tool like BC on its NAS, so there is a business opportunity for BC to port the app to Synology's Linux based OS. I for one would pay for the app on the Synology myself.

Comment

Working...