• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

Comparison results problem

Running BC 3.3.5 (build 15075) On Kubuntu 12.04

I'm 99% sure that under Windows, in the comparison results window, you were able to copy/paste the filenames. Like I have hundreds of filenames as right orphans, and I need to do maintenance on them, so an easy select would be nice (same as Win).

Have to do a comparison HTML report and extract the filenames.

If this can be fixed, would be great.

Regards,

Peter
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 does not have the ability to copy the file names from the Comparison Results dialog (when you run the content compare manually).

If you close the dialog, you can set your display filters to only Show Orphans, then select only those orphans (Expand All, Select All Files, Shift+Arrow key left or right), then use the right click -> Copy Filename to get the file names of your current selection.

Does this work better for you than extracting from an HTML report?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
      Fanatic
      • Nov 2004

Only double-click works in the results dialog window. left mouse click and right mouse click don't work on Linux.

I can use a HTML report for now, just the selection from the dialog box/window is easier.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Aaron did not say to right click in the results window. Right click in the main Folder Compare window and select "Copy Filename" to copy the full name and path of selected files to the clipboard, then you can paste the names into a text editor.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

In addition to Chris' clarification, the Copy Filename command can work on multiple selected files. So from the main view you can set the display filters to show only the files you want, use the Edit menu -> Expand All, Select All Files to get a selection of only those files, then Copy Filename to get a full list of the file paths in the clipboard.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
            Fanatic
            • Nov 2004

Thanks Chris and Aaron, yes, that method is a work around to the bug, but albeit a messy one.

For example, if I set the selection for right orphans, BC does only display those, BUT, when I "copy filename" and paste, I then have to go through that list, and remove all the pathnames.

That is, when the files displayed span paths, you get the path name in any selection you make.

Left mouse click and right mouse click don't work in the results dialog, it's a BUG.

Peter

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

It is not a bug, as it is not intended behavior to be able to copy or select text from the Info dialog.

Any left or right mouse clicking in that dialog would be custom designed and is something we can consider adding to the dialog.

BC3 currently supports reporting on files via the Report dialog, or generating a quick list of file names using the Copy Filename command.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                Fanatic
                • Nov 2004

Okay thanks, the Report side of things will be sufficient.

Comment

Working...