X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allan
    Journeyman
    • May 2008

Catastrophic Error In Ubuntu 10.10

I just recently performed an upgrade (not a fresh install) to Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) and now when I try to launch Beyond Compare, it kills my session and drops me back to the Ubuntu login screen. I checked various log files (syslog, kern.log, user.log) for any signs of problems and they show nothing of interest. Has anyone else tried this on Meerkat yet?
  • g4mby
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Allan
    Has anyone else tried this on Meerkat yet?
    I've been running BC3 on 10.10 for several months now. Throughout the Meerkat testing phase I never had a problem starting any BC3 version. Plenty of crashes when using other software on Meerkat but not BC3!
    Last edited by g4mby; 17-Oct-2010, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• David
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2009

Allan,

I have run the latest BCompare on fresh installs of 10.10-32 and 10.10-64 as well as on an upgrade of 10.04-32. I am not seeing the crash that you are. Sounds like maybe your XServer is being killed. Which version of BC are you trying to launch? Have you tried re-installing BC?

David
      David J Scooter Software

Comment

• Allan
        Journeyman
        • May 2008

I'm running 3.1.11. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't change anything.

Comment

• David
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2009

Are you launching from the command line or from the drop down menu? If from the menu could you please try opening up a terminal and launching from the command line?

# bcompare

This will display additional messages. Though if it is killing your session you probably won't see them. So perhaps try 'bcompare > err.txt' and see if anything can be captured in err.txt.

'bcompare' is a script that sets up some environment variables and then calls the executable. You can bypass the script but doing the following from the command line:

# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/beyondcompare
          # /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare

You could then also do a
          #ldd /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare

and check that all the expected libraries are available.

Check to see if you have a $HOME/.qtrc directory. This would have qt3 config files that might be causing a problem.

In $HOME/.beyondcompare will be the state files for beyondcompare. You could move those to new names (so they can be restored if desired) and have beyondcompare start without any state info.

Please let me know the results.

thanks

David
          David J Scooter Software

Comment

• Allan
            Journeyman
            • May 2008

Launching 'bcompare > err.txt' results in a 0 byte file, so nothing there. There is no .qtrc. Interestingly, renaming the .beyondcompare and running beyond compare again will cause the welcome window to appear, and as soon as I mouse over the window, it kills my X session again. I'm thinking this may be a video card driver problem.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello Allan,

That's certainly possible. If you suspect it may be a non-driver issue, or narrow down what is causing it, please let us know.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...