X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

Browsing to a WinXP folder from Linux/Ubuntu

I can browse to a Windows XP computer , either from Mozilla, Nautilus or Dolphin, by using this Samba share - smb://192.168.1.100/

It works fine, no problems with permissions,etc. Is there any method to browse to this share from Beyond Compare ?

The applications within Kubuntu are using the "places" options correctly (like KMail), but Beyond Compare is not accessing those places.

Peter
    Last edited by peterr; 20-Feb-2014, 04:31 AM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Samba locations must be mounted to then be navigated. We have some tips on that here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...z=kb_linuxtips
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
      Fanatic
      • Nov 2004

Thanks. I had read that previously and couldn't see the need to do it, because the Win XP share is shown and accessed by

* Firefox
      * Nautilus
      * Dolphin
      * KMail
      * Open Office
      * Other "K" apps and "G" apps

it is there in the dialogue box, to open a file. The share is shown and accessible.

So, I would ask the question, when is Scooter going to modify the 'open file' dialogue in Ubuntu/Linux, so that it displays and accesses the WinXP share ?

(See attached screen dumps)

Peter
      Last edited by peterr; 20-Feb-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• peterr
        Fanatic
        • Nov 2004

I can finally view and modify under Beyond Compare.

Followed the instructions in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently , and after a few problems and replacing the servername with an IP address (instead of a servername), the mount worked.

One small problem though. Beyond Compare won't show the extra path under the /media path. This is probably because that path is owned by root and group is root. That said, the mount is done giving user guest full access with no password, so technically the path should show under /media. Workaround is to navigate, once the /media path is accessed.
        Last edited by peterr; 20-Feb-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello Peterr,

Could you give a bit more information on the items that are not showing up under Media/? On my test machine, if I use the browse dialog of the Folder Compare, the Media/ is expandable, and then shows the items when expanded.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...