Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris
    replied
    Beyond Compare should be able to compare 100 MB JSON files when using the JSON file format from the Additional File Formats page. The JSON Sorted file format uses an external utility to sort JSON before comparison, we haven't tested that format with files as large as 100 MB.

Beyond Compare runs as a fully functional trial for 30 days before it requires a license key, with files as large as you describe it's a good idea to test BC with your files before purchase.

The JSON and JSON Sorted file formats can be downloaded here:
    https://www.scootersoftware.com/down..._moreformatsv4

Leave a comment:

• kthulsidoss
    replied
    Hi needed a help on large file sizes for JSON , does scooter software support 100 mb JSON file .. it need not be line by line comparision

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

What issue are you having with the alignment? Per line or text within a line? Or is the Sort not Sorting your data correctly?
    If you can include updated screenshots with the forum thread, we can look into specifics. For finding an old email, you can re-email us with a link back to this forum thread and I can search on it. Looking through 2018 mentions of "JSON" and I'm not seeing example attachment files. If you can also include the files and a full screen screenshot showing the problem, we'll be able to recreate it and figure this out.

Leave a comment:

• yamoinca
    replied
    This is nice but once in, I still have issues with alignment. See https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...brace-matching and yes I did send sample data via email previously.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Go to the Additional File Formats for BC4 page, click Windows, then enter json in the search box. Both JSON and JSON sorted file formats are available for download.

Leave a comment:

• bclaytonFI
    replied
    This looks very helpful but I'm not seeing any attachments.

Leave a comment:

• mateuscb
    replied
    Very nice! thanks for doing this, it is most helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

Our external conversions do not support an automatic fallback since we need to inform users that the expected conversion failed, interactively or in a scripted solution. Changing to another format behind the scenes could lead to unexpected comparison results.

We support defining multiple formats that match on the same extension in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog. The topmost format is the one used automatically, while the other can be selected from the Text Compare's Format toolbar button dropdown if you need to switch.

Leave a comment:

• jkewley
    replied
    Fall back for failed compare

One problem with the current solution is that it reports an error if the JSON files are unable to be parsed by jq.exe. Would be nice to allow plugins to provide a fall-back format (such as text) if the plugin fails. Sample attached that fails on compare.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

While not in the box yet, we do have a JSON sorted format available for download in our Additional File Formats section:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

Leave a comment:

• glahaye
    replied
    Indeed! JSON is one format that is essential these days. I was surprised when I learned BC didn't support it out of the box. This is a must have.

Leave a comment:

• jeremysimmons
    replied
    Great improvement jkewley. Glad to see this has finally gotten the attention of the developers at Scooter and this may be part of the standard distribution.

Leave a comment:

• jkewley
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks for this update! I've followed these directions and built a sorted JSON to try and test with.
    The best test for this is a large, unsorted JSON file because it demonstrates that it can be 'cleaned up' to be compared with another one.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Thanks for this update! I've followed these directions and built a sorted JSON to try and test with. If you would like to submit any example files for our testing, you can post here or directly email us at support@scootersoftware.com with a link containing this forum thread for our reference.

Leave a comment:

• jkewley
    replied
    If anyone is trying to do this in the future, here is what I did to make it more effective at diffing large files that have varying layout. I'd uploaded a new version of the package, but the forum attachment limit is too low to allow it (jq files have gotten bigger)
    1. download this package and rename it by adding a .zip extension
    2. extract the files and locate the json_formatted.bat file in the json subdirectory
    3. change the command line switches for both executables from
      Code:
      jq.exe . < %1 > %2
      to
      Code:
      jq.exe -S . < %1 > %2
      (add the -S switch)
    4. download the latest jq executable from https://stedolan.github.io/jq/download/. I used v 1.5
    5. package it all back up in a zip with BCFileFormats.xml in the root and rename it to JsonFileFormat.bcpkg

Note that this solution will re-sort the file before diffing, so it will change the structure of the file that you see

Leave a comment:

Working...
X