Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has development on Beyond Compare stopped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has development on Beyond Compare stopped?

Just curious. I notice it's been a very long time since there was any new version.

Still quite active. We included a lot of big features in 3.1 and 3.2, which delayed work on 4.0, but it's progressing well and we're working on an OS X version, which is taking a fair amount of time. 3.3.7 is in testing.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Out of curiosity, what can we expect for 4.0?

Comment

Hello,

We do not have an announcement of new BC 4.0 features at this time, but when we do we would likely post in the News and Announcements forum. If you would like, you can subscribe to this forum for email notifications.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
          Still quite active. We included a lot of big features in 3.1 and 3.2, which delayed work on 4.0, but it's progressing well and we're working on an OS X version, which is taking a fair amount of time. 3.3.7 is in testing.
          I also have the impression that the development stalled. The last 3.2 entry in the change log is two years old!

I don't see a lot of new features since then, although there have been many requests and suggestions. Some examples:

Handling of moves and renames in directory comparison. By-product: a dupe finder.

WebDAV - The standard for "cloud storage". Preferably with encrypted remote storage.

MTP - Synchronize smartphones, cameras...

IMAP - Very interesting although a lot of work, I'm afraid.

I'm still very enthusiastic to suggest people BC as a "must have" tool. But today, I suggest also to check the competition before spending money.

Oliver

Comment

Thanks. BC 3.3 was release just over one year ago, and is one of our larger changelog entries. There have been a few releases since then over the last year, each increasing the stability of BC3, and adding Windows 8 support. We have a link to our ChangeLog in the left side menu of the Downloads page:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/ChangeLog.txt

The next minor release of BC 3.3 is currently in testing and we hope to have it out soon.

Many of the items you listed above are a lot of work, but they are also common requests that our customers are looking for. As a small company, we have limited resources in the number of projects we can tackle simultaneously. We do wish to provide as many and as high quality of features as we can, but each of which requires adequate scheduling.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I understand the difficulty of managing a small development group, but please do not allow your "cash cow" (Beyond Compare) to starve to death waiting for updates and new features. Being number one is a great accomplishment, but you must constantly innovate to stay there. Ignoring your current customers' needs is a great way for the competition to "sneak in" and steal them. I have seen it happen many times.

Best of Luck in 2013!

Comment

MTP Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

Originally posted by obetz View Post
                I also have the impression that the development stalled. The last 3.2 entry in the change log is two years old!

I don't see a lot of new features since then, although there have been many requests and suggestions. Some examples:

Handling of moves and renames in directory comparison. By-product: a dupe finder.

WebDAV - The standard for "cloud storage". Preferably with encrypted remote storage.

MTP - Synchronize smartphones, cameras...

IMAP - Very interesting although a lot of work, I'm afraid.

I'm still very enthusiastic to suggest people BC as a "must have" tool. But today, I suggest also to check the competition before spending money.

Oliver
                I had our company purchase 10 licenses..... PLEASE get MTP working soon!

Comment

MTP support is still on our wishlist, but it is unlikely we would be able to implement it soon. It is still quite a large project, and varies slightly in how well it is supported from device to device.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I've just come up against the MTP only issue on my mother in laws Nexus 7 Android tablet.

Out of the box, the tablet supports MTP, so when you connect it to a Windows PC via USB it shows a windows explorer folder. But it doesn't let you assign a drive letter and Beyond Compare 3.3.7 does not support it.

I had planned to copy all the pics from her camera to her tablet (easy enough in windows). Then have her delete the bad pics on her tablet. I could then use Beyond Compare to sync the changes on either device. Or just delete the pics BC identified as just on the camera.

I can understand why Android is heading in this direction. Almost a Apple iPhone kind of way to allow one large drive to contain both apps and media:
                    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11...-mass-storage/

I still don't like it, but is becoming more common. It seems that newer Android devices that don't have Micro SD Cards will be shipping with MTP only and not supporting UMS (USB Mass Storage) any more.

I appreciate there are 3rd party ways round this, e.g. installing some kind of FTP server on the tablet. But for most users this is a little to much. As a licensed Beyond Compare user I'd really like to see built in MTP support, even if it is slower (maybe it could even prompt the more advanced user to try connecting a different way).

Anyway keep up the good work. Have been a happy licensed Beyond Compare user for many years.

Comment

Working...
                    X