X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5mv9
    New User
    • Jan 2013

support for arm processors - like the raspberry pi

When will you compile and sell a version for Arm processors, namely the Raspberry Pi?

I don't think I'm alone in wanting to see that happen... emerging market, exposure to budding young programmers, yadda yadda... we're all waiting for you.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Beyond Compare is written in Delphi, so we would need the tools to be available in order to port to another platform. We are currently working on porting BC4 to Mac, and would look into other options after that release.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• wasatchwizard
      Visitor
      • May 2009

Just curious if there is any update on this or not? Thanks

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Sorry, we don't have any plans to make an ARM port of Beyond Compare at this time.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Jaigay
          Visitor
          • Sep 2018

going forward this is not acceptable.
          Arm unveils its 2020 roadmap, with its Deimos and Hercules chips aiming to take on Intel's dominance.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare only supports Intel CPUs on Windows, macOS, and Linux. Our development team is very small, so supporting an additional operating system or CPU architecture is not trivial. Due to limited resources, we don't have plans to support ARM CPUs at this time. We'll monitor the market share of ARM CPU PCs and may adjust our plans if they become popular.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• LObeyond
              New User
              • Mar 2021

It's definitely gaining in popularity, and I agree what better sales pitch, than to present it to young developers.

Graph of growth:
              https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...rt=75#p1580905

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

The status of Beyond Compare on ARM platforms:

macOS on ARM64 (Apple M1)
                Beyond Compare 4.3.7 is an Intel CPU application, but will run on ARM CPU (Apple M1) Macs via Rosetta 2 translation. An ARM CPU version is in development.

Linux on ARM64/Raspberry Pi
                Raspberry Pi is a new, additional platform and needs more customer requests to justify the development, testing, and support required.

We haven’t reached that threshold yet, but have looked into it some, and there are still some issues with Qt on ARM64 that upstream devs need to fix. Once that’s done it will be easier to support.

Windows on ARM64
                Our development environment (Delphi) doesn’t currently support ARM on Windows. If/when they add that we will evaluate based on requests from customers.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• twoseascharlie
                  New User
                  • Aug 2021

As someone who just purchased a pro license seeing there was a .deb package available, I would love this to work on my raspberry pis! Yes I have samba mounts, but it's cumbersome to context switch when I'm working on a pi.

userRequests++

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Added your feedback. We have a lot on our plate with the current development schedule, in addition to the items Chris has listed. I would recommend the samba mounts or other remoting in solutions.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ameeno
                      Visitor
                      • Oct 2021

I want a darwin arm64 version!!!! I noticed that as I use fewer and fewer rosetta apps, my mac air is more amazing and has better battery life. actually, bc4 is one of the few apps that does not use native arm64 ... which is a shame cos it's a java app and there is already an arm64 JDK for apple!

what's the eta on this as your post was made 7 months ago saying it was in development.

also with the new macs, m1 pro and m1 max arm are going to take over apple!

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Yup, we're aware of the new M1 chips and are working towards a native version specific to that hardware.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jwiede
                          New User
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Chris
                          The status of Beyond Compare on ARM platforms:

macOS on ARM64 (Apple M1)
                          Beyond Compare 4.3.7 is an Intel CPU application, but will run on ARM CPU (Apple M1) Macs via Rosetta 2 translation. An ARM CPU version is in development.

Linux on ARM64/Raspberry Pi
                          Raspberry Pi is a new, additional platform and needs more customer requests to justify the development, testing, and support required.

We haven’t reached that threshold yet, but have looked into it some, and there are still some issues with Qt on ARM64 that upstream devs need to fix. Once that’s done it will be easier to support.
                          Put me down as another long-time customer who definitely wants to see Mac & Linux ARM64 ("aarch64") versions of BC! Not only is RasberryPi important, but Nvidia's Jetson platforms also rely on ARM64 and represent a rather sizable commercial development platform base. Wanted ASAP!!! Make it part of v5 and I'll glady pay a 1.5-2x upgrade cost to move from v4->v5.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback and noted. There's a lot on our plate, so we do have to focus specifically on M1 for now.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bogdanbun
                              New User
                              • Nov 2021

Hello, please add me to the list of people waiting for the Mac ARM64 version of the product.

Comment

Working...