folder compare and hard drives compare ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markvii
    Visitor
    • Sep 2012

folder compare and hard drives compare ?

Hi,

I'm trialling beyond compare and was trying to have the software compare 2 folders (with sub and sub-subfolders) on 2 different drives and also the entire contents of 2 different drives.

The problems I'm having is
    a/ when I try to compare the 2 folders the osftware does not scan the subfolders

b/ I can't get the software 2 compare the contents of the 2 hard drives. ?

I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't know what :-(

Any help/hint appreciated.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are the subfolders aligned with each other, in the same relative locations? If two folders are aligned side by side, their contents are also aligned and compared by default. If you would like to scan top-level Orphan folders (blue, not aligned), you can enable to scan these items in the Session menu -> Session Settings -> Handling tab.

Items would need to have the same names in order to be aligned.

A full screen screenshot might help diagnose this. You could post one here or email us at [email protected]. If you email us, please include a link back to this forum thread.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• markvii
      Visitor
      • Sep 2012

Hi

I don't know what aligned means here.Them files are not in the same relative location anyway.

I'm including a pict. In the pict you can see that on e:\ there are 4 folders and the very same 4 folders are also in on d:\fsx\simobjects\airplanes.

I'm trying to get BC to locate/compare the folders and files but no can do.

Btw how do I go about telling BC to compare the contents of 2 hard drives ?

Thanks

Link : http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2...ondcompare.jpg

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

When loading the two folders, side by side, in the Folder Compare session type, the relative folder structure of the base folders should "line up", like in this screenshot:
        http://scootersoftware.com/moreinfo....=FolderCompare

Note how "beta3" is in the same relative location, with the same name, even though the base folders are quite different (one is an FTP server).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• markvii
          Visitor
          • Sep 2012

I'm sorry I don't follow you. Looks way too complicated.
          I take it I cannot compare the 2 hard drives either.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you can post or email us a full screen screenshot of your Folder Compare, I can help pinpoint the exact steps you need to take. If you email us, please include a link to this forum thread.

You can compare two harddrives, by loading them as the base level folder. The folder structure will still need to match relatively.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• markvii
              Visitor
              • Sep 2012

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1240/snap14j.jpg

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hi Mark,

It might help to watch the "Basics" video here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/moreinfo.php?zz=videos

If watching the video doesn't help, please set your display filter to "View > Show All", then send us a screenshot again of the two folders you're trying to compare in Beyond Compare. Also, please include a copy of your settings. To save your settings to a file, select "Help > Support" and click the Export button.

You can send the screenshot and settings to [email protected].
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...