• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knnknn
    Enthusiast
    • Aug 2006

Copy+Compare

I just tried out BC3.

I noticed that there still isn't available one of the most logical features to have for a comparison software:

Copy and then compare the copied file.

Additionally when I copy a file some background CRC checking is running (calculating the CRCs of files in the same folder) thus slowing down the actual copy progress.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Copy then Compare the copied file is supported, and that is why the CRC checking is running.

Your current background comparison configuration is used to compare the copied file; the default is timestamp/size, but if you have CRC/Binary or Rules-based enabled, it will be performed on the copied file. This is controlled in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings -> Comparison tab. If you do not want it to be compared when copied, disable the comparison here and manually run it after the copy has finished using the Compare Contents command.

You can tell that a content compare has occurred (CRC/Binary/Rules-based) if the center column is populated between two files showing the status of the content comparison. This does not show up between two folders, only between two files.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• knnknn
      Enthusiast
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

The Copy then Compare the copied file is supported, and that is why the CRC checking is running.
      But that is not copy+compare.

That is exactly my criticism. That such a simple and logical function like "copy a file and then compare whether it has been copied correctly" is not implemented in a compare software that CAN already copy and CAN already compare.

It's completely obvious that Beyond Compare offers the function to somehow calculate/compare some CRCs. But to have to go to session settings and to have to rely on some background processes (which might be stalled if a disk has bad tracks) is way too complicated and ineffective.

Actually Beyond compare could be a direct competitor to software like TeraCopy which specialize in copying+comparing and moving+comparing. You would just need to program some command line interface and then BC could be used as copier, too.
      Last edited by knnknn; 11-Jun-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Running a background compare on only the files that were just copied (as copied) is on our Customer Wishlist.

In the meantime, you would need to enable one of the content comparisons (CRC, Binary, or Rules-based) to run the comparison on the entire base folders. Once enabled, any files that are copied in the session are also compared during the copy with the configured comparison, not just CRC. It also uses the built-in Windows detection for a corrupt or failed copy, like Windows Explorer.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• knnknn
          Enthusiast
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

Running a background compare on only the files that were just copied (as copied) is on our Customer Wishlist.
          Very good.

Additionally to my suggestion it seems that there is a bug.

When I turn on CRC checks (in session settings) then CRC are calculated twice. Once in the background (when I turn on the CRC column) and once "in the foreground". Hence slowing down everything immensely.

Last edited by knnknn; 12-Jun-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I've added it to our bug tracker. There are a few instances where the calculation can be recalculated if the CRC column is enabled along with the background comparison. If you do not scroll the view, this can help limit the number of recalculations.

There are other instances where it can appear to recalculate, but really is not. If the file sizes are different, the center column will populate as CRC different because files of different sizes must have different CRCs. When you then scroll to this area, the CRC column must be populated and is calculated for the first time.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...