Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Drive - BeyondCompare support for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI for anyone reading this after the fact: I did install and use RaiDrive, though not extensively. It seemed to work fine, although it is quite feature bare.

I've since dumped BC4 in favor of Syncovery. However, I just happened to discover Cryptomator after seeing it recommended by PrivacyTools.io. I have not yet tried Cryptomator, but it is free and could be a usable solution, providing security while also working with BC4. (I mention "security" because I am not comfortable uploading my files in the clear to Google Drive, nor would I recommend that anyone does so.)

Sorry for any unwanted reply notifications, but I know that information like this has helped me in the past, and I'm just trying to pay it forward.

Comment

I just connected my Google Drive with Google's Drive File Stream. I think it's only a school & workplace app though and what other features it has I cannot tell you because I literally installed it 10 mins ago! It automatically asks you to allocate a drive letter and gives you a ghost drive of all your files. I renamed and moved files in BC and they automatically changed in browser so seems to work so far! I'll re-post if there are any major issues but if I don't, it does the basic compare/upload of files which is all I'm after (I'd be uploading roughly 1-5gig files at a time). Hope this helps someone! This board has been so helpful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by raymondkode View Post
        For some months now, I have been running an app named "RaiDrive standard edition". (It's free.)
        Thanks very much for that. I installed RaiDrive today, and the BC4+RaiDrive combo has already saved me hours of trouble over the Google Drive web upload facility, which typically fails to complete or completes with errors for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pennytron View Post
          I just connected my Google Drive with Google's Drive File Stream. I think it's only a school & workplace app though and what other features it has I cannot tell you because I literally installed it 10 mins ago! It automatically asks you to allocate a drive letter and gives you a ghost drive of all your files. I renamed and moved files in BC and they automatically changed in browser so seems to work so far! I'll re-post if there are any major issues but if I don't, it does the basic compare/upload of files which is all I'm after (I'd be uploading roughly 1-5gig files at a time). Hope this helps someone! This board has been so helpful to me.
          I've been using BC4 and Google FileStream since FileStream came out, and it has worked well. I simply point BC at the local copy of the Google Drive files which FileStream maintains on my hard disk (with drive letter G: by default).

However, Google recently implemented shortcuts in Google Drive, which are like Linux soft links, and BC does not see or follow shortcuts that FileStream shows in G: So, I am now unable to use BC to compare to folders in G: that are shared with me by others (which are shortcuts to folders in Shared With Me).

Again, this underlines the desirability of having native Google Drive support (including Shared Drives, Shared With Me, and shortcuts) in BC, rather than depending on workarounds like FileStream.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the report. From my own tests, these Shared Folder links act like links in Explorer, too (directing to open a web browser to the target). It doesn't appear they ever represent the data itself locally.

Implementing Google Drive support is a project on our Wishlist. I'll add your notes about shared resources to our entry on the subject.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X