Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidsj2
    Visitor
    • Nov 2011

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I'm attempting to use BC3 with Mercurial. Here are the relevant sections from my Mercurial.ini:
    Code:
    [extensions]
    extdiff =

[extdiff]
    cmd.bcomp = C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe
    opts.bcomp = /leftreadonly
    This works great, unless I already have BC3 running. Even if it's just the "home screen", attempting to use BC3 via mercurial results in the following error:

Code:
    c:\Users\davidsj2\repos\ast\OCE\targets\ast>hg bcomp
    abort: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: c:\users\davidsj2\appdata\local\temp\extdiff.7u1pyp
    Following the error, BC3 will pop up in the same instance as the previously opened session, but the version of the source file on the left side (remote version) displays "File Not Found" with a red X and is empty.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

As described in our Mercurial instructions (http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._vcs#mercurial), use "bcomp.exe", not "bcompare.exe".

Bcomp.exe opens a separate helper process for each diff. Bcompare.exe opens everything in a single process, which prevents Mercurial from correctly detecting when a diff is closed if you do diffs.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Radrik
      New User
      • Apr 2013

BComp.exe doesn't work with Folder Compare sessions ("hg bcomp" with several modified files) and always produces "The process cannot access the file" error message.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare supports file diffs from version control, but not folder diffs from version control.

Folder diffs from version control our on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...