How To restore default file format definitions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcalman
    Enthusiast
    • Jun 2004

How To restore default file format definitions?

I was examining a file format definition in the File Formats dialog, and accidentally saved one format under a different format's name, thereby overwriting the the latter format's definition. That had been one of the default formats, so there is no downloadable "*.bcpkg" file (that I know of) that I can re-import the default definition from. Short of uninstalling and re-installing the product, is there a way to restore the default file format definition?

This is on version BC 3.3.3 (build 14128) on Windows 7 SP1, 64bit.
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Open the File Formats dialog from the Tools menu and select the format you modified. Any of the built-in ones will have a "Factory Defaults" button next to the "Save" and "Save As..." buttons.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• kcalman
      Enthusiast
      • Jun 2004

Ooops, I've already deleted the overwritten format, to prevent it from hosing comparisons. Can it be restored?

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Open the "Support" dialog from the "Help" menu and click the "Explore Settings Folder" link. It will have a file named "BCFileFormats.xml". Look for this line:

<Deleted Value="True"/>

And delete from the <TTextFormat Value=..."> immediately before it through </TTextFormat> after it.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• kcalman
          Enthusiast
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Craig
          Open the "Support" dialog from the "Help" menu and click the "Explore Settings Folder" link. It will have a file named "BCFileFormats.xml". Look for this line:

<Deleted Value="True"/>
          That value is not present in the file. If adding the file format definition to the file is the supported 'import' method, they can you supply the original definition for the "Batch Files" file format? (That's the one I overwrote)

Comment

• Zoë
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Batch isn't one of the default formats. You can download it from our Additional File Formats for Windows page.
            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• kcalman
              Enthusiast
              • Jun 2004

I downloaded the Batch format and re-installed it, and it is good now. Thanks.

Going back and looking at the File Formats dialog, I see the "Factory Defaults" button under the tabbed format properties pane for some of the Format definitions. When I delete one of those Formats, and then look in the BCFileFormats.xml, I do see a stanza containing "<Deleted Value="True"/>". If I delete that stanza, the deleted default Format does reappear in the File Formats list, but at the top of the list, not in its original position.

Comment

Working...