Name:	bc.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	79933Click image for larger version

Name:	bc2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	79934

Are there limitations based on the number of folders and/or files in a directory? I am trying to verify a large set of data has been copied correctly, and BC 3 keeps crashing with an unknown error.
    Last edited by Zankorel; 12-Feb-2019, 10:03 AM.

Beyond Compare 3 is a 32-bit application, so it will hit a limit on the total number of files it can compare, then crash with an out of memory error. On 32-bit Windows the limit is about 2.5 million files on each side, on 64-bit Windows the limit is about 5 million files on each side.

For more on capacity limits for Beyond Compare 3, see: https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp...z=kb_maxfilev3

Beyond Compare 4.1 or newer (4.2.9 is current) is 64-bit on 64-bit Windows, so it will scale with the amount of memory available on the system. I've successfully compared up to 20 million files on each side using 64-bit BC4. That comparison used about 8 GB of memory.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris Thank you for the fast reply. Do you have any testing beyond 20 million files, or any reason to believe there would be issues with more? In this instance I am trying to validate about 30 terabytes of data that has been migrated to various netapp volumes from physical windows file servers.

Comment

The largest comparison we've tested is 20 million files on each side in the Folder Compare. Some of our customers have reported successfully running larger comparisons, but I don't remember specific numbers. Beyond Compare is designed for interactive comparison, so memory use scales with the number of files being compared. Even if Beyond Compare doesn't crash due to an out of memory limit, at some point it will become very slow.

If your comparison ends up being too large for Beyond Compare to handle (out of memory or poor responsiveness), then splitting up the comparison into smaller pieces is the best workaround.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X