What is MAC and where does it come from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is MAC and where does it come from

In the attached screen capture, you can see that the lower window has a MAC setting (whatever that is).

What I don't understand is why 2 files on the same mainframe should be treated differently. Secondly, how do I get rid of the MAC setting (which I assume is skewing the display of the second file)

Hello,

The text "MAC" displayed in the status bar means that file contains Mac Line ending characters. You can enable Show Whitespace to see the different line ending characters (PC, Linux, Mac each use a unique symbol) or use the View menu -> Hex Details to see the difference at the end of the line. The text itself is not a setting, just an indicator that it is detecting Mac line endings.

Are you connecting/viewing these files over an FTP:// connection?

If you copy the files to your local Desktop, does the same display/issue occur?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Aaron

I downloaded the files to the PC and did a text compare on them. Turns out that the file showing the MAC indicator had a '0D'x character after the last significant character on each line (for some strange reason).

I've sent a note to the owner of the code to ask why it's there.

Be that as it may, I'll try and remember next time that if MAC is shown, there's something strange about the file.

Comment

Working...
      X