Feature Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Suggestions

Just a suggestion for a feature. When comparing large data files, it takes me a few tries to get the session rules right (key fields, unimportant fields, etc.) Each load takes a few minutes due to the file size. It would be great if you had a feature where we could limit the number of rows read. That would allow me to take a sample of the file and set up the settings before removing the limit and reading the entire file.

Hello,

For this workflow, instead of altering a few settings at a time, select a few rows of your data from your file (either the original file or the open tab in BC3). Then open a new tab, Data Compare, and use the File menu -> Open Clipboard. Then repeat by selecting the other pane in the new Data Compare and using the Open Clipboard command on that pane. How does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The clipboard approach works with small files. But rather than me having to open the data file in another program and selecting the rows (these data files are hundreds of thousands of rows) or running a separate query, I was hoping BC3 could be enhanced to just read a few rows in. For future consideration.

Comment

Hello,

Generally, BC3 can handle situations like this with an custom External Conversion.
        Would these be large Excel files or plain text?

If they are plain text, you could create an external conversion that uses a bat file to create a temp file of the first X lines. You could use this new custom File Format, and then switch file formats once the session settings are setup.
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...e-head-command

If it is Excel, most of the processing time is performing the External Conversion, which we have to do in its entirety before we could begin to show the file. You could combine both our external conversion and the above trimming conversion into a single bat file, but I'm not sure how much time you would gain if the conversion is taking most of the processing time.

We have a KB article here for how to setup custom File Formats (for the Text Compare, but this can extend to the Data Compare):
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...rnalconversion
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X