Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import and Export of BC settings to new user

Hi,

Having setup beyond compare on one laptop with all of the necessary settings, I want to export these for other users to use. Having read some of the other forums, I found the 'export settings' option in the 'Tools' menu. This exports a .bcpkg file which was then given to another user with their own copy of BC. They then imported the settings onto the new laptop. I then created the same files in the same locations as specified in Folder Compare from the original laptop. I was hoping that now a user could just run the same folder compare session as if it was being run on the first laptop. However, we encountered some sort of access violation error (attached) which prevented us from continuing.

What would be the best way of doing this?

Thanks,

Steve

Hello,

The Tools menu -> Import and Export wizards should work to transfer settings from one computer to another.

What was the last action you took to trigger this crash? Was it loading the saved folder compare session on the new computer from the Home screen's Saved Sessions list?

Does it crash every time? Did you send in the crash report?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

I have created a session on pc 1, and exported all settings to .bcpkg file. This is then transferred to pc 2 and imported using tools --> import settings... and running the wizard.

The sessions are then imported fine and can be seen on pc2 as they were on pc 1. The crash occurs when attempting to run a data compare report (attached) through the folder compare. On pc 1 this works fine and displays Html output of the differences between the files in each folder. On pc 2, the crash occurs. I have sent the crash report in which is the same as the one attached to my first post in this thread.

I have attached the data compare report window that triggers the crash.

Thanks again,

Steve
      Last edited by sh1406; 18-Oct-2011, 09:37 AM. Reason: attachment not seen

Comment

Sorry about that. BC 3.3.2 has a bug related to the Data Report which can cause it to crash. Is your other PC running an older (BC 3.3.1) version?

BC 3.3.3 should fix this and is currently in testing. We hope to have it out soon, but if you need to roll back to BC 3.3.1 please send us an email to support@scootersoftware.com with a link back to this forum thread.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

Thanks, this is sorted now. The issue was with 3.3.2 and one of the instances of BC was on 3.3.1 whilst the other was on 3.3.2. Both computers are now running 3.3.1 and the import/export of sessions now works as expected.

Regards,

Steve

Comment

Hello,

Excellent, and once it is available I recommend testing with BC 3.3.3.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X