Snapshot-Many Saved CRCs = 00000000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot-Many Saved CRCs = 00000000

My 1.5 TB external USB hard drive contains 970GB of data. From inside the GUI interface, I created a snapshot of the entire drive with CRCs included. BC3 took about 12 hours to create the 4.67MB bcss file. Many of the CRCs were calculated correctly, but many CRCs were missing (=00000000).

Does BC3 have a size limit on snapshots? Would a script perform better?

BC3 version 3.2.4. Computer is running Windows XP and has 2GB memory.

Hello,

Roughly how many files are on your usb drive? A CRC of 0's is likely caused by a read error when attempting to read the file and generate the crc. Were there any errors in the Log? You can automatically generate and save the log using the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Log. If in script, you can use the Log command.

You can also Save a Snapshot without loading a Folder Compare. It is available in the Tools menu before loading any specific session.

How do these tests/troubleshooting steps work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The external USB drive contains 282,359 files, 34,742 folders and 971GB. Logging is activated for the GUI interface with a check in each of the four boxes (Include these types of messages). However the log file does not record any information on the snapshot.

I rebooted the computer and re-ran the snapshot from the GUI interface (without loading left and right folder comparison, as you suggested) and also from a script. I also did not use the computer for any other operation during this time. Both were successful and created snapshots with all CRCs generated. About 190 CRCs = "00000000" were generated, but these belonged to empty files of "0" size.

I used the following script"
      log verbose append:C:\temp\J_Snapshot_%date%_%fn_time%.txt
      snapshot save-crc no-filters path:J:\ output:C:\temp\

The script generated the following log file:
      6/4/2011 11:12:37 PM >> log verbose append:C:\temp\J_Snapshot_2011-06-04_23-12-37.txt
      6/4/2011 11:12:37 PM >>
      6/4/2011 11:12:37 PM >> snapshot save-crc no-filters path:J:\ output:C:\temp\
      6/4/2011 11:12:37 PM Unable to load J:\System Volume Information: Access is denied
      6/4/2011 11:17:40 PM Unable to load J:\System Volume Information: Access is denied
      6/5/2011 10:30:43 AM Unable to load J:\System Volume Information: Access is denied
      6/5/2011 10:32:17 AM >>
      6/5/2011 10:32:17 AM >>
      6/5/2011 10:32:17 AM Script completed in 11 hours, 19 minutes

Comments and Suggestions:
      Other than the blinking light on the external drive, I have no indication that the Beyond Compare script is working. It would be great to have some type of progress messages, such as "Now cataloging directory, J:\Downloads".

Comment

Hello,

So the CRC generation seems to be working as expected after a reboot? That's good to hear.

Our script dialog does not currently support a progress bar, but the dialog's presence should indicate that it is currently running. Are you encountering freezing of some sort?

A progress bar is on our Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

>> Are you encountering freezing of some sort? <<
          Probably not. But when a script runs for many hours with no indication of progress, how does one know if the program has froze or if one should just wait a little longer?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion; a progress bar would help. Normally the verbose logging would help show individual file transfers, but a snapshot creation is a single command.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X