Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change session type on-the-fly

Scenario:

I pull up a prior file compare session from my auto-saved session list (more than 6 days old). The files are no longer there. "Oh, that's right," I say to myself, "I renamed the parent folder." Of course, the reason I used the auto-saved session history in the first place is because I could not remember where the file was. So I edit the path in the MRU dropdown by cropping off the path name a couple levels higher and click the load button. I need to load the grandparent folders so that I can see the parent folder that was renamed. I get another "File not found" error. Now this is getting frustrating... I'm pretty sure that path should be there. After a minute or two of scratching my head, I realize that the reason it's failing now is because I've clicked the load button with folder path names in a file compare session.

Maybe it's just me... but this happens a fairly regular basis. Personally, if I try to load folder paths into an empty file compare session (where nothing has been loaded yet into the left or right panes) I would prefer that BC3 just change the session type to a Folder compare and load what I've asked to be loaded.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    I need to load the grandparent folders so that I can see the parent folder that was renamed.
    In a file compare, you can use Session > Compare Parent Folders to get a Folder Compare. Then in the Folder Compare, you can use Session > Up One Level > Both Sides.
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Yes, I am aware of how it can be done. It's just that when I am opening a session from history and it doesn't work, I fall into auto pilot mode trying to trouble-shoot the issue as I would with Windows Explorer, by modifying the path until it works. Eventually I do catch myself and do indeed use the options on the Session drop-down menu. It would just be so much nicer if BC3 would take that extra step for me automatically, especially when it is a session that hasn't loaded anything yet.

P.S. On a related topic, I've always hated having to go to the Session menu to perform a "Compare Parent Folders" operation when I am done with the current file pair. I've asked for it before, and I'll probably ask for it again. I really would like an "Up one level both sides" button in the text compare that closes my text compare, prompts to save the files if necessary, then loads the parent folder compare into the same tab. I don't care if it something I need to add from the Tweaks dialog...this is something I've yearned for since Cirrus days.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Thanks, Michael. We still do have your original request in our Customer Wishlist. I'll add this scenario as reference material to the entry.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

As Session/Compare Parent Folders opens a new tab with the parents of the base folders, I set up two Open With commands with the Description
          Code:
          Folder Compare parents
          Folder Sync parents
          the Command lines
          Code:
          "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" "%p1" "%p2"
          "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" /sync "%p1" "%p2"
          and the Shortcuts
          Code:
          Shift-Ctrl-P
          Shift-Ctrl-Y
          both accepting files and folders.

Hitting the shortcut opens a new tab with the parent folders of the selection.

This treats 3 issues not covered by BC by default:
          - Cloning an existing Folder Compare session after selecting a pair of top level files or folders
          - Open a new Folder Compare session from within a Text Compare session
          - Sorry, I forgot the third, but I'm sure I had one more use case ago

Greetings Lutz

Comment

Working...
          X