Incorrect function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect function

What does it mean when you get an "Incorrect function during a sync.

This isn't an error message that I've seen before. If the error is repeatable, please send a screen shot of the error to support@scootersoftware.com and we'll try to figure out what is causing it. Please include a link to this forum post in the email.

Also, where are the folders located that you're syncing? Are they on directly connected drives, network drives, or an FTP server?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I am seeing this same problem on a Windows 10 Pro laptop with Folder Synz
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the screenshot. This post is originally from 2011 for BC3, but your screenshot looks like BC4. Which version of BC are you currently running? BC 4.3.4 (all 4.x updates are free for 4.x users)? What types of devices are E:\ and G:\? Does the problem persist if you reboot your computer? And, if E: and G: are physical devices, can they be power cycled as well?

If the problem is reproducible with BCHOldHistory.csv after a full restart of every device, what behavior do you see if you attempt to copy the file using Windows Explorer from the same source to the same destination? Any extra prompts, dialogs, warnings, or errors?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I did reboot and tried to different devices including a internal hard drive. E: is a internal PCIE solid state drive. It does happen with robocopy as well. It is BC4 with all the latest updates
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

So you also see errors with Robocopy? What do you see with Windows Explorer?

If you remove E:\ from the equation, and test two local C:\ Temp folders, does it reproduce? It might be an issue with the specific internal drive.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi,

I have exactly the same problems while syncing folders. For some files I get the error message "incorrect function". More often for bigger files.
              Copy in windows explorer works just fine. Both network copy and local have the same problem (on the same files)

Source is an external usb 2 drive and target is an internal (sata3) drive

Latest version of BC 4.3.4 (windows 10)

Comment

Hi,

When testing with network and local, what do your base folders syntax look like? Something like
                P:\SourceUSB2\ <-> C:\Sata3\
                and
                \\computerNetworkName\SourceUSB2\ <-> C:\Sata3\
                ?

How slow is the performance on the USB2 drive when using Explorer?

If the errors only appear sometimes for bigger file transfers, does the transfer begin and then error out? If you re-try the Copy on just that one file in BC4, what occurs?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi

I have tried both UNC path and mapped network drive for network sync. It gave exactly the same errors
                  For local sync it's like: d:\ <--> H:\BackupFolder

USB 2 drive speed is what you would expect. By the way I had the same problem when copying between 2 local disks

The error can happen at any moment: sometimes at beginning of the file copy, almost at the end, or somewhere in between.

Retrying the same file gives exactly the same error, and I believe at the same moment during the copy process.

I have the feeling that it happens when it encounters a certain string/series of bytes.

Hopefully this info helps a little bit.

For now I'm using version 3. without any problems

Comment

I also want to add:

For the files that did not work, I used explorer and afterwards I did used the "comparing content" function without any problems

Comment

Hello,

Next time you encounter a file that repeatedly has the error in BC4, if you pop open a Windows Command line, and use:
                      copy "d:\folder\filename.txt" "H:\Backupfolder\folder" (same base folders loaded at the top of the comparison, but with the path to the file on the left source parameter), what does this do?

When you say it could occur between two local disks, does this happen more rarely? Are the two internal disks different hardware disks (sata) in your machine? What kind of security software or any other always-running software do you have?
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                      X