X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

Forum search

I would be nice if the forum search worked properly e.g. finding key word zip from user chrisjj falsely reports no matches.
  • aussieboykie
    Expert
    • Oct 2009

Whilst it's not explicitly stated, the fact that search by keyword and search by user are positioned horizontally adjacent to one another in the advanced menu may mean that you can use one or the other, not both. If that's the case, you'd expect an error message if you specify both - or a mechanism to disable the other field as soon as you type in one of them.

Regards, AB

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by aussieboykie
      Whilst it's not explicitly stated, the fact that search by keyword and search by user are positioned horizontally adjacent to one another in the advanced menu may mean that you can use one or the other, not both.
      Other field pairs don't so behave.

Comment

• aussieboykie
        Expert
        • Oct 2009

This would be a feature of the forum management software (vBulletin). I had a quick look at their forums but didn't manage to locate any matching Q&As. As you might expect, they are running the very latest version of their own software and I can confirm that it exhibits the same problem that you described in your original post.

Regards, AB

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

Thanks. I see the problem doesn't occur with e.g. key word compare . Perhaps there's a bug specific to short words.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. The search features built into vBulletin leave something to be desired. Google does a pretty good job of indexing these forums if vBulletin search isn't working for you. As an example, using the search terms "site:http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbulletin/ chrisjj zip" in Google comes up with some good hits.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

How about integrating a google "Search forums" box on the Scooter support site. It could go right under the "Search knowledgebase" search box. It could programatically preface the users search criteria with "site:http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbulletin/"
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Chris
                Google does a pretty good job of indexing these forums
                For old posts yes, but not for those in recent weeks.

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

This is actually a limitation of the default MySQL configuration. vBulletin uses MySQL fulltext search when searching the forums, MySQL defaults to a minimum of 4 characters for fulltext searches. I'll look at our server configuration to see what's involved in changing the limit.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

> MySQL defaults to a minimum of 4 characters for fulltext searches.

What's the advantage of that, one wonders!

> I'll look at our server configuration to see what's involved in changing the limit.

Thanks.

Comment

• Dave_L
                      Veteran
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by chrisjj
                      > MySQL defaults to a minimum of 4 characters for fulltext searches.

What's the advantage of that, one wonders!
                      The reason is probably to reduce the size of the index that MySQL maintains, which saves space and possibly speeds up searches too.

Comment

• chrisjj
                        Carpal Tunnel
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Dave_L
                        The reason is probably to reduce the size of the index that MySQL maintains, which saves space and possibly speeds up searches too.
                        By all of 100Kbytes and 1%, I'd guess

Comment

Working...