Syncronize 2 drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncronize 2 drives

I have a question about beyond compare. Say I have 2 usb drives(usb1 and usb2) with thousands of pictures or music. They are both identical. I take usb1 drive and start creating folders and categorizing everything. So when I am finished I have the same files on both drives, but usb1 is organized into subfolders.

Is there a way for beyond compare to look at both usb1 and usb2 and create/move the files on usb2 to mirror usb1? I know the mirror option will copy over all the data again, and then delete the old data which would take a lot more time and simply moving the data. Is this possible?

Hello John,

No. Beyond Compare considers the folder structure important to the comparison and will not align your files. You can turn on the option to Ignore Folder Structure, but that won't recreate the folder structure on the other side; it would let you compare the files of the two usb sticks but not copy the structure.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello John,

No. Beyond Compare considers the folder structure important to the comparison and will not align your files. You can turn on the option to Ignore Folder Structure, but that won't recreate the folder structure on the other side; it would let you compare the files of the two usb sticks but not copy the structure.
      I could swear I asked this question awhile ago and wondered the same thing about this scenario. You mean to tell me there are no plans to have Beyond Compare get the capability to duplicate folder structures?

This should be on the wish list. In fact I believe this should be built into a future version of Beyond Compare.

Comment

This is basically Duplicate Finding, and then an additional command to sync the folder structure from one side to the other. We have methods of copying the folder structure now, but not for finding Duplicates, and then moving the files to match one folder structure or the other.

Duplicate Finding is on our Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X