SQL file format - Missing keyword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL file format - Missing keyword

Please add varbinary as a keyword to the SQL file format. Thanks.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Also missing appears to be:
    IF
    TRAN (short form of TRANSACTION)

And SQL Server 2005 adds:
    INSERTED
    DELETED
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

The current SQL syntax is a subset of all of the vendor versions. We've discussed having vendor-specific formats, but haven't put them together yet. Which versions added varbinary, if, and tran?
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

if is a reserved word in all versions of SQL (ANSI & Transact-SQL alike)
        tran is a reserved word in Transact-SQL as well (I don't know about other SQL versions)

varchar is an ANSI SQL reserved word. It was originally a keyword, but not a reserved word, in Trasact-SQL.

The var in varchar indicates that it is a variable-length data type instead of being a fixed-length data type like char (both of which are defined as keywords in BC3).

The same rules apply to binary and varbinary. The first is a fixed-length data type. The second is a variable-length data type. I don't know when varbinary became a keyword...but I've used it for years under SQL Server 2000.

I don't think that INSERTED and DELETED are reserved words. They are just keywords used in OUTPUT clauses in SQL Server 2005.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Due to the variety of SQL languages out there, I am sure that there are a lot of keywords that could be added to the list. I just listed the ones that I see a lot, and thus appear to be "glaring omissions". I really don't care so much about the "INSERTED" and "DELETED" keywords if you don't want to add them, but the "if" and "varbinary" should definitely be included in the SQL file format.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
          X