Files too large to compare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files too large to compare?

How can I see the differences (Hex viewer) of 2 large files?

I only get the message that the files are "too large to compare"

The files are only 4GB large (= normal movie files).

There must be a way, or not?

Sorry, the Hex Viewer doesn't support comparing files that large. You'll need to split the files into smaller pieces, probably about 500 MB each before you can compare them.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

But why? Files > 500MB is an everyday's filesize.

Why doesn't the Hex viewer compare the first 500 MB and then the next by itself?

The filesize of the files is the same. I just need to see where a few bytes differ!
      Last edited by knnknn; 06-Jan-2009, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knnknn View Post
        But why? Files > 500MB is an everyday's filesize.
        The last time we seriously updated the hex viewer a 500MB file was very rare, so we designed it to compare smaller files. The version prior to those updates was only able to compare files up to 1MB, and that was still better than any of our competitors at the time.

Why doesn't the Hex viewer compare the first 500 MB and then the next by itself?
        Because the comparison algorithm would be more complicated in that case.
        Zo P Scooter Software

Comment

I mean, come on, I LOVE Beyond Compare... but this is unbelievable. I simply want to know which bytes have been changed. I don't think this is too much to ask from a FILE COMPARISON software..

Comment

I mean, come on, I LOVE Beyond Compare... but this is unbelievable. I simply want to know which bytes have been changed.
            It sounds like you want to compare similar files with easily identifiable changes. Sounds simple. But the next guy may try to compare two completely different files... or two similar files with a huge section inserted in the middle of it with matching sections falling in different 500 MB sections. Not so simple.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

But, OK then limit the size of "inserted block" (= when the inserted block is too big then fail to comapre) and don't limit the size of files to compare.

Comment

Is there any advancement regarding this issue?

Comment

No, there isn't, and there isn't going to be any time soon. Fixing this would take significant resources that we don't have to spare, and will be unnecessary once we're able to make a 64-bit build.
                  Zo P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
                    No, there isn't, and there isn't going to be any time soon. Fixing this would take significant resources that we don't have to spare, and will be unnecessary once we're able to make a 64-bit build.
                    Moving fast forward 3.5 years later and Beyond Compare 3.3.4 STILL can not compare these two files ("Too large to compare"), even with the rule alignment set to "None".

Sorry, I find this ridiculous, that I have to switch to Altap Salamander's File Compare to compare two "large" (2+ GB) files.

Comment

64bit support is still our target goal, once the tools are available to create it.

If you have an external program you would like to launch from within Beyond Compare 3 (such as a scenario where you binary scan all of your files, find a different pair, and would like to launch a command line with their parameters), you can define a custom Open With to perform this task on a selection.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Any news?
                        It's in fact a shame that comparing "large" files (hey, 4 GBs aren't that large nowadays) is not yet implemented. Can this be so hard to achieve?!?

Hope there'll be a solution coming soon
                        (soon means: Before 2018 )

Comment

Originally posted by masterblaster View Post
                          Any news?
                          I too would like news of when this issue is to be addressed.

And suggestion meanwhile: document the error "too large to compare" in the Help.

Comment

We do not have any new information to add at this time about supporting larger files in the Hex Compare or 64bit support.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks.

And apologies for the documentation suggestion. I'd forgotten that documentation suggestions in the forum are disallowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X