right click menu missing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanGo
    started a topic right click menu missing...

right click menu missing...

Hi Since installing the BC3 version (and uninstalling cirrus) I've lost the right click menu in explorer. I seem to remember an advanced settings in the cirrus installer for enabling this but I don't see it in the BC3 installer.

This is the primary way I launch BC and would hate to lose this functionallity.

Thanks,
    Dan

• Aaron
    replied
    It can still rarely happen (a common factor is sometimes after a major upgrade to Windows), but the included registry file above can manually re-fix it.

Leave a comment:

• emanuel26
    replied
    hahaha I was reading this thread so seriously and then I realized that the first post was created 11 years ago. I am pretty sure by now, his problem must have been solved :-)

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    The registry patches and instructions to fix the Windows Explorer context menu are now available on our website.
    https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp...?zz=kb_shellex

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    sylvain,

Email support@scootersoftware.com and we'll provide you with registry patches to fix the context menu.

Leave a comment:

• sylvain
    replied
    Hello,

i've the same problem. Where can i found the attached zip ?

KR,

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    In addition to Chris' comments, if you are still having trouble, please email us at support@scootersoftware.com and include a link to this forum thread in the email.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Make sure you're using the installer from our website for the current version 3.3.8. Some of our customers repackage Beyond Compare into their own installer. Sometimes this breaks the shell extension if they don't do it right.

If that still doesn't fix the problem, other programs shell extensions can conflict with Beyond Compare's shell extension. You can use ShellExView to toggle shell extensions on/off to see if one is conflicting with BC. You can skip testing shell extensions made by Microsoft because many are part of Windows and don't cause problems.

You can download ShellExView here:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Leave a comment:

• dwochna
    replied
    More Right Click Menu Missing

I am not able to get the context menus for BC 3.0 with WIN 7 64 bit. I don't understand what Cirrus is, is it a program that should be deletable under Programs and Features?

I have installed and uninstalled multiple times requesting the install for all and all 3 options (context window, start menu, desktop). If I look at tools\option dialog box the "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu" is checked and Compare is on Main Menu.

When I run ShellExView I do not see any entries for BC 3.0.

I imported the script given in an earlier post into my registry but still no dice.

When my computer was running XP this used to work for me but since I was upgraded to Win 7 the context menus do not work.

Do you have any advice for what I should try next?

Leave a comment:

• RunnerBiker
    replied
    Thanks Craig. I waited until this was finally resolved to uninstall Cirrus, since I almost always start BC with the Explorer Context menu option.

This morning, I uninstalled Cirrus, applied the registry fix and re-enabled the Context menu with Tools => Options.

I'm a happy camper again. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Dave_L
    replied
    Thanks, that fixed it.

Leave a comment:

• ZoŽ
    replied
    The attached zip has a .reg file that removes any trace of the beta shell extension from the registry. Try importing it, restarting BC3, and enabling it in the Options dialog.

Leave a comment:

• Dave_L
    replied
    Any ideas on this? Is there a way I can manually restore the context menu?

Leave a comment:

• Dave_L
    replied
    I just uninstalled and reinstalled BC3, rebooting afterwards each time. The context menu items are still absent, and so is the registry key.
    Last edited by Dave_L; 24-Apr-2008, 08:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ZoŽ
    replied
    BC3 still writes to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex/CirrusShellEx. We were planning on removing the duplication but got some negative feedback about it.

Frankly the easiest and quickest way to solve this will probably be to just uninstall and reinstall BC3. It won't remove your settings or anything, so it should come back unchanged.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X