X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • urlwolf
    Visitor
    • Oct 2008

oneNote support

Since more and more people are falling in love with oneNote, and it's been included in Office 2007 for a few years now...

Wouldn't be nice to have oneNote support?

Thanks
  • SSnow
    Enthusiast
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by urlwolf
    Since more and more people are falling in love with oneNote, and it's been included in Office 2007 for a few years now...

Wouldn't be nice to have oneNote support?

Thanks
    When I was still using Windows I made extensive use of OneNote / Outlook integration as a sort of ad hoc project management system. I used Beyond Compare for synchronizing my backup system to my primary system, including the OneNote data. But I wasn't using OneNote on both systems between synchronization sessions. If that is the type of support you mean, then I didn't find a way to do that. If I were using OneNote on more than one system and trying to share the data, I would just use shared notebooks in OneNote. They work amazingly well. (I'm talking about OneNote 2007. I took one look at 2003 and walked away.)

But for using OneNote on one machine and backing the results up to another machine for use there in case of failure of the first machine -- Beyond Compare can already do the job. If your systems have the same relative pathways to all data, even the links will work on the target system when it's put into use. You do have to exclude some files --the *.toc files, if my aging brain serves me. Anyway, they were the hidden system files in the OneNote notebook folders.

Obviously, if you're going to give this a try you want to back up all of your data to a separate location before you start testing back-and-forth copying.

Comment

• urlwolf
      Visitor
      • Oct 2008

I'm doing what you describe (two comps, home and office, both edit the .one files). Works fine. I cannot use shared notebooks because they require a MS server.

The kind of support I wanted to see is similar to .doc support (you see the text that has changed).

Comment

• SSnow
        Enthusiast
        • Sep 2008

I cannot use shared notebooks because they require a MS server.
        If had my shared notebook sitting on my main system (a laptop I carried with me every day). When I connected by to the home network by VPN or connected my laptop to the network upon arrival at home the OneNote notebooks were synchronized. So I guess the laptop I carried with me was the "server" in that case. I know people who use this type of sharing using intermediary servers on the Internet, too. Do you think it might be feasible for you to use shared notebooks in this way?

Comment

• Gene
          New User
          • Jan 2016

Our company has a shared OneNote notebook and it works great from our network server location. At issue for me is looking at the history of a page in OneNote to see the changes, or when we have 2 different processes documented in separate pages I want to see the differences between the processes. For example - we have an emer process, and a standard process. Each has its own page. What are the differences? Right now I have to export each page to word, then compare them in word format. Not nearly as intuitive as BC has become with other types of files.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello Gene,

Thanks for the info. Which protocol are you using to access your OneNote shared notebook? Are you using BC4 Pro's OneDrive support or another method?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...