X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boulrik
    Visitor
    • Sep 2008

Process BCompare.exe consumes 50% CPU forever

When starting a Beyond Compare session with two text files from an external program such as the Delphi IDE or a version control program there are always two processes left in the Task Manager after the BC compare window has been closed. Those processes are BComp.exe and BCompare.exe. BCompare.exe consumes 50% of the CPU until you kill it. If you start another session, it will consume another 50%, i.e. 100% in total. Now the PC is starting to behave a bit sluggish for obvious reasons. Quite annoying.

Cheers,
    Ulrik Sandström
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC does not behave like that normally. Are you using one of our configurations from our KB article?:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs.php

What is your command line call?

Do you have any anti-virus or other scanning software you can try disabling to see if there is a conflict there?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• boulrik
      Visitor
      • Sep 2008

Hi Aaron,

I've done some more research. It turns out the only time it does this is when I do a compare from within Delphi 2007. The setup is a bit complicated though. In Delphi we've installed a SCC plug-in called SourceConneXion which integrates our SCM tool Seapine Surrond into the Delphi IDE. So, the diff call from Delphi goes to SourceConneXion which then forwards it to Surround which calls BC.

The command line call (setup in Surround) is "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" "%1" "%2". I've also tried BCompare.exe with same result.

By the way, Surround supports three-way merging, so you can add these settings to your configurations for Surround SCM:
      5. Add or edit an entry for File Type "All other text files", with Diff/Merge set to Merge.
      6. Enter selected application: "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" "%1" "%2" for two-way merge and "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" "%1" "%2" "%3" "%2" for three-way merge. Click OK.

Ulrik Sandström, Parker Hannifin

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

You'll want to use BComp.exe when calling bc from another application. Is there a way to call BC with the different parts of your workflow, to try an narrow down which (Delphi 2007, SourceConneXion, Surround) part may be causing the processing with BC3?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• boulrik
          Visitor
          • Sep 2008

Yes, I can call BC directly from SourceConneXion. Same result. SourceConneXion still has to be run from within Delphi so it only excludes Surround from the call chain.
          Never had this problem with BC 2.0 using the same setup of Delphi/SourceConneXion/Surround.

Ulrik Sandström, Parker Hannifin

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Oct 2007

Boulrik,

You never mentioned what BC3 build you're using. Are you running 3.0.7 or an earlier build?
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• boulrik
              Visitor
              • Sep 2008

I'm using 3.0.7 (build 9037). Same problem with all 3.0 releases I've tried.

Ulrik Sandström

Comment

• hagiga
                New User
                • Mar 2011

Hi,

Was this solved? I have the same issue with Surround SCM with any build. I am doing exactly what was mentioned in the above posts.

Thanks,
                David

Comment

• boulrik
                  Visitor
                  • Sep 2008

This was solved in a later version if I recall correctly. The problem is gone anyway.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Are you using the latest build of BC3 (currently 3.2.4) for Windows?
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...