Copy filtered lines on multirow-selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy filtered lines on multirow-selection

I would like a way to copy an entire section, including any filtered lines.

I.e.

ROW1
    ROW2
    <filtered lines>
    ROW500

i.e I would like to be able to somehow copy Row1-Row500 and paste it in another application.

(Side-note, noticed that Shift+Delete won't cut in the "file location bar", Ctrl+X works though)

Thanks.

While I wouldn't want filtered lines to be copied by default, I wouldn't mind being able to press Ctrl and clicking on the - ## FILTERED LINES - text in the middle of the pane to add the filtered section to the selection.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Just expand the filtered gap (click on the plus) before making your selection.

[Shift+Del] will be fixed in 3.0.5 to cut in path edits of the session views.
      Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Interesting response. When I was beta testing Ultra Edit and asked for the same functionality, I'm glad that's not the response I got from them:

http://screencast.com/t/Wg66nKzQje

Sometimes it is simply more convenient to work with large blocks of code without having to expand it...
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Uhm, alright then...

The only reason I can see when someone want to copy selection above/under the filtered lines, but not the lines themselves, is when working with "context lines" [off] to be able to copy only the diffs and paste them somewhere.

Visual Studio, Ultra Edit (as Michael pointed out) and Notepad++ are examples of editors copying the filtered lines if selection includes them.

Regarding BC3 and copying the filtered section (without using the "use it like notepad"-workaround reply above), I've tried some ways, which don't work obviously would be really helpful if they would:

* Tried selecting over/under "filter border", holding shift and then expand filter.
          * Tried toggling full edit in various ways.
          * Expanding filter, selecting a line 1, using "navigator" to the left to scroll to the end of "identical section" while holding shift.
          The cursor is just placed at the new position chosen via "navigator", selection is not retained even when shift is held.

I would be glad of any way of selecting filtered lines. Via a menu, via some keys+expanding as Michael suggested etc. even though I think going with the "mainstream" implementation would be the best solution for most users.
          (Even better IMHO would be to use "full edit" mode to copy filtered lines, and "not full edit" mode to only copy visible lines)

Thanks.

The main reason I want this feature is I often have these kind of diffs:
          File1:
          Alter Producedure Foo
          <more than 1k lines>
          Go
          Bar1

File2:
          Create Procedure Foo
          <more than 1k lines, identical to lines in File1>
          Go
          Bar2

Since the entire procedure body is filtered but the start/end isn't, I want an easy way to copy it since it's so huge.

Comment

I was just describing how to do it in the current release. Your issue is only that you'd like a more convenient of doing it.

Originally posted by GreenMoose View Post
            Visual Studio, Ultra Edit (as Michael pointed out) and Notepad++ are examples of editors copying the filtered lines if selection includes them.
            It wouldn't make sense for normal editors not to include the hidden content. However, our environment is completely different. Lines are filtered out not by code structure, but by how they compare.

Originally posted by GreenMoose View Post
            The only reason I can see when someone want to copy selection above/under the filtered lines, but not the lines themselves, is when working with "context lines" [off] to be able to copy only the diffs and paste them somewhere.
            You may be able to argue that automatically selecting gaps is good for the Copy command but there are lots of commands for which it is bad: Copy to Other Side, Increase Indent, etc.

We'll consider ways of selecting filtered gaps for a future release.
            Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X