RegExps: how much of PCRE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RegExps: how much of PCRE?

I am currently evaluating BC3 for use at our company (MYOB), and have some questions...

I am really glad to see that BC3's RegExp support leverages PCRE, but I see in the help file that it is a "subset" of PCRE.

Can anyone tell me exactly which parts of PCRE (and which version of PCRE for that matter) are supported?

I am very familiar with all the individual parts of the full PCRE (v7.6) syntax, but would like to find out without trial & error which are supported.

I am aware that BC3 applies them to a line-at-a-time of the source in at least some cases; clarification of this would also be appreciated. (c:

Hi Guf,

Some parts of BC3 use PCRE and some use a syntax-compatible subset that is not based on the PCRE code.
    1. The text Find/Replace uses PCRE 6.4. I think it's close to the full thing, but it's wrapped by a third-party library, so I don't know specifics.
    2. The regular expression support used for importance and grammar highlighting does not use PCRE. It supports:
      • The metacharacters: \^$.[!*)?*+{}\^-]
      • Escaping characters: \a, \t, \f, \e, \cx, \ddd, \xhh, \x{hhh..}
      • Character sets: \d, \D, \s, \S, \w, \W
      • Iterators (greedy): {n}, {n,}, {n,m}

Matching across lines in either case is not supported.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

I suggest tagging this for inclusion in the manual.

Comment

3rd party lib..?

Would that 3rd party library be the JediCodeLibrary one by any chance?
        If so, they have in their latest release moved to PCRE 7.7 I think.

Comment

Nope, it's DIRegEx
          ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Looks like they just updated to PCRE7.7 too (c:
            I might just have to try out their lib sometime at work - and see if I can port my RegExp parser to it (a tool that analyses what you type and shows it as a tree), tho it seems they have something to help edit REs too...

Comment

...can anyone say "SpamBot"?

Comment

Working...
              X