X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DorothyFan1
    Expert
    • May 2008

Worried about potentially cortupt BC3 settings

The flexibility of the new BC3 is very impressive...however I am concerned about possible corruption in the way BC3 saves sessions and remembers all that you do in between sessions.

Is there any file in the BC3 install that can be safely backed up to use in case of an emergency when there is a corrupt file causing BC3 to stop loading correctly or could the coders of BC3 seriously consider a feature in the program that allows BC3 to see if there is any corrupt setting that can be reset if some threshold has been reached?

For example...I recently had a problem with Microsoft Excel loading up correctly and I closed the session. When i relaunched Excel...I was greeted with a dialog box warning me an add-on I installed was causing Excel to hang. It asked if I'd like the compoent disabled so I could open Excel. I clicked yes...Excel disabled the add-on and then I was back in business.

So...any safety net features built into BC3 that can do the same thing in case there's a problem like this?
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

To fully back up all of your settings just copy all of the files in "%AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3".

I'm not sure what kind of detection you're suggesting though. Other than the "Source Control" support we don't load third-party DLLs, so that's the only possible thing we could disable. We do detect corrupt settings and will ignore them if they're encountered, but there really shouldn't be anything you could add to the settings files that would keep BC from loading.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• DorothyFan1
      Expert
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Craig
      To fully back up all of your settings just copy all of the files in "%AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3".

I'm not sure what kind of detection you're suggesting though. Other than the "Source Control" support we don't load third-party DLLs, so that's the only possible thing we could disable. We do detect corrupt settings and will ignore them if they're encountered, but there really shouldn't be anything you could add to the settings files that would keep BC from loading.
      I can't find this folder. Where is it located?

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Enter exactly what I put into Explorer's path edit and it should expand to the correct value. For XP it'll be something like "C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3". On Vista it'll be "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3".
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• DorothyFan1
          Expert
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Craig
          Enter exactly what I put into Explorer's path edit and it should expand to the correct value. For XP it'll be something like "C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3". On Vista it'll be "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3".
          Found it. Thanks. One other thing...I think you guys should post more video tutorials on BC3. The ones you have are good...but it would be great if you could expand on this to include more complex job situations and how BC3 can handle them. Also...consider putting some BC3 video stuff on Youtube as well.

Comment

Working...