Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cstern
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2008

I was in the beta tester group some years ago when v3 for PC was in the making. I now also have a (couple of) macs and am really missing BC. Any chance of being in the beta (or even alfa) testing group?

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

We still have quite a bit more work to do before we're ready for beta testing. When we have a Mac beta, we'll post an update in this forum thread.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Christian3D
        New User
        • Dec 2011

I cant wait. I have been on a Mac for a year now and Beyond Compare is the single biggest thing that I miss.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Comment

• gimpster
          Journeyman
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Chris
          We still have quite a bit more work to do before we're ready for beta testing. When we have a Mac beta, we'll post an update in this forum thread.
          Woot! Happy coding, guys!

Comment

• RobG
            Journeyman
            • Oct 2007

Really!? There's finally gonna be a Mac version???? THANK YOU!!!

I will eagerly await a beta or something, as I hammer away at some nasty code in the Windows version running in VirtualBox.

Sweet!!

Rob

Comment

• sphantom
              New User
              • Jan 2012

BC3 on Mac via Wine

Until Scooter Software can give us a native mac version, it is possible to run BC3 on mac using Wine. (You'll need an X window server installed for this to work, Apple provides one as an optional install on the Mac OS install disk, or you can install your own.)

I use MacPorts to install wine
              www.macports.org for download/install information for MacPorts
              sudo port install wine

Download the WINDOWS installer for BC3 then run the installer with wine
              wine ~/Downloads/BCompare-3.3.3.14128.exe

The installer will guide you through installation.

Once installation is complete, you can run BC3 as follows:
              wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Beyond\ Compare\ 3/BCompare.exe

For my needs, I've actually developed a shell script that makes launching BC3 very easy and also makes it easy to integrate BC3 as the diff tool used by p4v, etc.

Comment

• embsysdev
                Visitor
                • Jan 2012

Ooh ooh me too!

I've been a BC user since 2002 - Windows and Linux versions. However, I switched to using mac almost exclusively about a year ago. I run Windows and Linux in Vmware Fusion, so I'm able to still use BC, but a native version would be an awesome rocking addition.

Comment

• RobG
                  Journeyman
                  • Oct 2007

I discovered BC back in... gosh... 1999? 2000? It's been ages. It's one of the few tools that has been so good that I registered it right away and have bought every upgrade. I get the Windows and Linux versions. I've sorely missed it on the Mac since switching two years ago, and Windows is so flakey that BC sometimes has issues. I should setup a Linux VM and run it that way for now.

Rob

Comment

• PuckPuck
                    Visitor
                    • Feb 2012

+1 for Mac Version. I would even be willing to beta test as soon as it becomes available. I hate having to use Parallels for BC. Gonna try the MacPorts/Wine solution, but I still want a native version.

Comment

• soup
                      Enthusiast
                      • Jan 2004

crossover

it works well with crossover too at the moment (the windows version)

Comment

• svec
                        Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2011

mac

I would love to help BC for Mac too.

Until that happens, I'm happily using Beyond Compare with CrossOver, it works great.

Comment

• zhoffman
                          New User
                          • Mar 2012

Registered just to chime in and say I can't wait! Be happy to beta test. It really is the only piece of development software I miss. I hate having to hop over to Windows to use it.

Comment

• Voxen
                            Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2012

I'm using parallel desktop ONLY to run BC3. If there is a Mac version that would be just great. Count me in your beta testers, I'm using BC3 all day long so if there are bugs to find I'll find them
                            Macbook Pro Retina 15' - OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 French

Comment

• macachin
                              Visitor
                              • Sep 2008

I am using BC3 in Linux, Win and Mac as well with Crossover. BC3+Crossover is OK, except that there is an error message when you try to open other session. I am waiting for the native Mac version. I would like to test once the beta version will be available.

Comment

• romills
                                Journeyman
                                • Sep 2011

BC3 Mac user

I also would love to see a mac port.. Long time windows and bc user, recent mac convert.. Been using beyond compare for years, great program!!! I would love to see it on the mac.

Comment

Working...