• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimF
    Enthusiast
    • Apr 2008

Explorer Context Menu-Compare Using

Hello,

I just noticed that the Compare Using Explorer context menu was missing. Through my own experimentation I found that I can get it to show if I also turn on Merge as a menu option, either Main menu or Submenu. As soon as I remove Merge, Compare Using goes away too. The Sync option does not seem to make a difference.

BC3 Build 459.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Jim,

I am not seeing that behavior in house with just my 459 build. Is it possible that you need to reboot to finish a previous install of the shell extension?

Does running the installer (reinstall) and then reboot help clear up the issue?

If not, is it possible another shell extension is interferring?
    This tool may help (not related to Scooter Software, but something other customers have found useful):
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JimF
      Enthusiast
      • Apr 2008

Aaron,

A reboot did not fix the issue. I downloaded a fresh copy of 459 and installed it on top of my copy of 459 (did not uninstall the other one first), rebooted, and still no change in behavior.

I looked at the tool you mentioned and ran it, but I have to say I don't know how to interpret what it is saying. Only my Google Toolbar is marked as suspicious (and I don't know what means in this context).

One thing I did earlier in the week was to remove my registered copy of BC2 after I purchased and installed my BC3 license--But, unfortunately, I don't remember what the state of the Compare Using menu was before I uninstalled. And I don't know if it would make a difference if I remembered since I had "Merge" on anyway. It was just recently that I turned Merge off the menu and I then noticed that Compare Using went away.

I am running Vista Business SP1. Anything else I can help you with to diagnose the issue? Trace with ProcessMon for example?

Thank you,
      Jim

Comment

• JimF
        Enthusiast
        • Apr 2008

Aaron,

I just checked this on my home computer too (also running Vista SP1-Ultimate, not Business, in this case) and it also exhibits the same issue.

Jim

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you email us a copy of your settings (Help menu -> Support; Export) and an exported section of your registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\BcShellEx)

You may need to rename the registry to .txt to avoid email filters.

Compare Using is set to be on the 'Main Menu'? And what are you highlighting to test: files, folders?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Just in case: To export the registry, just run 'regedit' from the Run window (windowsKey+R), navigate down that folder path, then right click the folder and select Export.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JimF
              Enthusiast
              • Apr 2008

Aaron,

I zipped up the files you requested and email them to support. I did two sets. One with Merge turned on, one off.

Thank you,
              Jim

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

It is possible you have an old version of the shell extension somehow. A complete uninstall/reinstall should help.

-Export your current settings (shouldn't need to re-import)
                -Uninstall BC3
                --Uninstall Cirrus**
                -Restart
                -Delete Program Files\Beyond Compare 3
                --Delete Program Files\Cirrus**
                -Install fresh BC3 from our website.

**If you have a version of Cirrus still installed, you can include these steps.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JimF
                  Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2008

I guess anything is possible. I have only been using BC3 since the public beta, so I don't have a folder called Cirrus.

Currently, my shell extention DLL (BCShellEx.dll, i presume) is dated 4/11/2008, version 3.0.0.4. I just searched my entire C: drive (the only place I install software) and I do not have any other copy of this file.

But, I will try your suggestion and reply back with the results tomorrow morning.

Thank you,
                  Jim

Comment

• JimF
                    Enthusiast
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
                    It is possible you have an old version of the shell extension somehow. A complete uninstall/reinstall should help.

-Export your current settings (shouldn't need to re-import)
                    -Uninstall BC3
                    --Uninstall Cirrus**
                    -Restart
                    -Delete Program Files\Beyond Compare 3
                    --Delete Program Files\Cirrus**
                    -Install fresh BC3 from our website.

**If you have a version of Cirrus still installed, you can include these steps.
                    Aaron,

OK, I did all of that (uninstall, reboot, the program files folder was already deleted after the reboot, and the fresh install), but, alas, no difference. I still must have Merge turned on to see Compare Using.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you,
                    Jim

Comment

• JimF
                      Enthusiast
                      • Apr 2008

Aaron,

OK, completely by accident, I think I have found a key to this bug. I currently have two data files I want to compare, both with tab delimited fields. The file names end in ".txt". If I highlight them both, I don't get the "Compare Using" menu to be able to do the Data Compare that I need.

On a total lark, I selected a .sql and a .txt file, right clicked, and voilà! The Compare Using sub menu was there! I went back to the two .txt files, and it was gone again.

If I have Merge turned on, Compare Using is always there, even with the two .txt files.

Phew! Sorry I didn't notice that sooner. Hope that helps.

Jim

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Thanks, Jim. Those additional clues helped us reproduce this inhouse.
                        -Clean Install of 459
                        -Setup as Compare= Main Menu, Compare Using= Main Menu. Other combinations work.
                        -Select two files of the same extension at the same time. Mixing files works. As does selecting one as left side, then selecting the other.
                        -No other shell extensions installed (installing 7zip 'fixes' it)

I'll look into this a bit further and see what is causing this.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JimF
                          Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2008

Aaron,

Glad to know I am not going completely crazy and that you can now reproduce it. Since the files are in the same folder and right next to each other I never thought of right clicking on one and then the other--I will use that as my workaround until it is fixed.

Thanks!
                          Jim

Comment

• Zoë
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

This will be fixed in today's release.
                            Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...