Open Session replacement for Home is missing something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Session replacement for Home is missing something

I liked the Home concept, but I won't complain if it is decided that it doesn't work for other people.

What I am unhappy with though, is that I appear to have lost the ability to easily close a session and get back to the Open Session dialog.

Before, when I was done with a session but not done with Cirrus, I could just hit Alt-Home and the session would be replaced with the Home dialog.

Now, if I hit Ctrl-Shift-O, it opens a new window. I have to close the old window.

If I hit Ctrl-T instead, I have to go back and close the old tab.

Hrm.. well, it appears if I go in and disable the "Closing last tab closes window" option that the previous thread mentioned then I can hit Ctrl-W and the session will be replaced with an Open Session dialog.. I guess this will work.

Maybe everything is fine like it is, but I figured I'd go ahead and make the post so you guys can get some insight into my usability perspective.

Other users expressed concern that Alt-Home was dangerous in that a user might overlay an active session accidentally. Other users also expressed a desire to have a launch pad that can remain open and launch sessions in other windows. This new build address both of these concerns. If a user does a Shift+Ctrl+T and unchecks the "Open Session view shows new session buttons" tweak, then the Open Session window can be made smaller and used as a launch pad.

For your situation:

Under Tools\Options\Tabs, setting the "Open sessions in" option to "A new tab" will prevent the session from launching in a new window.

Or...

Remove the checkmark from the "Closing last remaining tab closes the window" checkbox and just press Ctrl+W (only works if you don't have more than one session open).
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 14-Feb-2008, 08:07 AM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

In another post I recommended that the "Open Session" option be moved to the "New" list. For consistency, this could also be done to the New list under the Sessions button. Since the Sessions button affects the current session, this would allow a user to revert the current session to a new "Open Session" window like Alt-Home did (albeit not quite as easily).
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

It is taking me a little bit to get used to this as well. The idea is that with the new Sessions Drop down button (found here), you can launch a new Session or Open a Session without needing to go back to Home.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          The idea is that with the new Sessions Drop down button you can launch a new Session or Open a Session without needing to go back to Home.
          I understand that, and it works very well IF you simply want to open a new or existing session. However, if you want to modify a saved session before opening it, that cannot be done from the Session button.

Adding a generic "Session" to the New list would give the user the ability to get the full session manager in the current tab if they want it. I don't see any harm in giving a user more flexibility in their work flow.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
          X