A)
    1) Find something in a diff view
    2) It focuses the found thing
    3) Hit escape - closes the diff including find dlg

B)
    1) Find something in a diff view
    2) It focuses the found thing
    3) Re-focus the find-dialog
    4) Hit escape - closes only the find dlg.

I would suggest not focusing the found word so Escape (or any other character press) rather acts on the the find dialog (which seems to be the default behavior for other find-related tools).
    Last edited by GreenMoose; 14-Feb-2008, 03:54 AM. Reason: typo

Wow, this is an intersting dillemma. I think the whole idea of a find dialog is to help the user locate and set focus on a desired text string. Perhaps a better solution would be for Cirrus to be "dialog aware". If there is an open dialog associated with the current session, close the dialog instead of the session regardless of where the focus may be... Worst case, if the user really does intend to close the session, they'll just have to press Escape twice.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

It looks like we inadvertently changed behavior in build 445. The focus should stay on the dialog unless the user explicitly focuses the editor pane.
      Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

The current issue is a bug which we'll fix for the next release.

I think we'll keep it where keystrokes are processed by the focused control in the normal manner. Otherwise we start down a slippery slope -- considering other keystrokes that might be interpreted by the unfocused control. The convention with modeless dialogs seems to be that the user needs to be aware of where the focus is.

We're also adding an option to close the Find dialog after the first search, so that folks who prefer that it always gets out of the way don't have to press Escape.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Maybe you're right. I actually appreciated the change. In prior builds I found it irksome to have to click into the input panes to perform an edit on found text. I guess I'll just have to put up with it.

FYI - I don't see a slippery slope. A dialog would continue to process its own keypresses. I can't see how a little more smarts in the handling of the <Esc> key from the main window only would affect other keypresses.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Another issue with find is that if you are not in full edit mode, then the entire line is highlighted/selected. That is not the way BC2 worked and it is not very useful for finding things (especially when they occur multiple times on a line which may be partially out of view). I sometimes turn full edit off just so I don't inadvertently change anything.

Comment

FYI, you can disable editing but stay in full edit mode:
              • Select Session->Session Settings....
              • Mark "Disabled editing" for the appropriate sides.
              • Click "OK".
              Erik Scooter Software

Comment

I'm another person that has been frustrated by the 445 behavior, having developed a muscle memory of hitting esc to dismiss the find dialog in MSVC, notepad, Word... For people that don't want to have to switch batch to the editor window by hand (and I can understand that), I like the idea of the option
                Last edited by Michael Kujawa; 29-Feb-2008, 04:09 PM. Reason: Hadn't read Tim's post fully

Comment

Thanks, Michael. The next release will have a sticky "Close Automatically" checkbox on the Find dialog.
                  Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                  X