X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Upcoming changes to toolbar

We hope to release another build very soon, and I’d like to give you a heads-up on a change concerning the Sessions toolbar.

So far the default toolbar layout has had a drop-down “combo tree” control for selecting an existing session, on a secondary toolbar row of Folder Compare session:

Unlike in BC2, all the comparison views are now savable sessions, and can be selected from the Sessions drop-down. Some of us have configured all our session types to include the Sessions toolbar, but it takes up a lot of space. It generally is too wide to fit on the primary toolbar row.

In Build 445 we’re trying a Sessions button that drops down the session tree. It’s small enough for us to position in the same place on all primary toolbars:

The button doesn’t display the name of the selected session, although that still appears on the window or tab caption. We’ve kept the button simple-looking, without an icon, so it doesn’t unduly complete with the important display filters.

We found here that the change took some getting used to, but we see the benefit in having a consistent session selector available in all views. We’ll be interested in hearing what you think of it.
    Tim T Scooter Software
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

I like it. I never did like all the large dropdown combo-boxes. I often had to do a double-take to make sure I was clicking on the right thing (Session dropdown vs Path dropdown). The Session button looks much better, in my opinion. The only "getting used to" I anticipate is not having the component buttons at the far left. I'm sure it won't take too long to get accustomed to that change.

Edit - And I guess if it really bothers me, I can drag the Session button to the right of the component buttons, though I think it makes sense to have them where your screenshots show them to be.
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 12-Feb-2008, 05:01 PM.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Tim
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

I should also mention that when you install this new release you will likely need to manually rearrange your toolbars. We don’t have a convenient way to reset toolbar positions to the new defaults.
      Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Big empty space on toolbar

Is it necessary for the file filter combo box to be so wide?

Could it, perhaps, be resized based on the contents?
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Tim
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Not necessary, but people have asked for it to be wider too. Unfortunately it's not user-sizable. Maybe we can have some kind of small vs. large setting, or respond to whether it's on the first or second toolbar.
          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• goldsy
            Enthusiast
            • Nov 2007

The button is a welcome addition. I found myself traversing the session menu far too often.

Comment

• shanawalt
              Visitor
              • Feb 2008

Sessions vs sessions rules

Is there an easy way to select a session in order to inherit the filters, but not change the folders that are currently being viewed? I have a number of complex filters that I've saved as sessions, but when I load a session it also changes the folders I'm viewing and I have to manually change them back. All I really want is the filter.

So far I really like Cirrus. Good job.

Comment

• Tim
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

There isn't a direct way to load another session's filters, but you might try this:
                1. Open your saved session with the complex filters
                2. Copy the contents of the Filters edit on the toolbar.
                3. Select Tools > Options > Folder Views and make a new line in Filter Presets, something like "My Special Filters ( )" and paste your filters between the parentheses.
                4. Now, in any new session, you can select My Special Filters from the toolbar.
                Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• shanawalt
                  Visitor
                  • Feb 2008

That did the trick and is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

-Steve

Comment

• ron
                    Fanatic
                    • Dec 2007

I like the new button too.

Comment

• ron
                      Fanatic
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tim
                      We don’t have a convenient way to reset toolbar positions to the new defaults.
                      Is there an inconvenient way ? I just installed a copy on a Vista VM and I kindof like the default arrangement.

Comment

• Zoë
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

The toolbar positions are stored in &#37;AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\State.xml in the <Toolbars> nodes. You can either delete the entire file or just those specific XML nodes.
                        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• ron
                          Fanatic
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tim
                          Not necessary, but people have asked for it to be wider too. Unfortunately it's not user-sizable. Maybe we can have some kind of small vs. large setting, or respond to whether it's on the first or second toolbar.
                          Do the same thing you did with the Sessions button.

Comment

Working...