Clear All

• Brackets <Yada> vs Quotes "Yada" in txt vs. cpp

File1.txt:
    "Yada" yada
    File2.txt
    <Yada> yada
    Diff shows:
    <Yada> Yada

If I instead have File1.cpp and file2.cpp with same content, the diff shows:
    <Yada> Yada

Is this intentional? Shouldn't the cpp rules also indicate that the words inside are same?
    Granted, the <> inclusion may search another location initially than the "" version... But IMHO it would, in that case, be more helpful to see if the filename inside brackets/quotes is identical.
    (I found this by comparing #include "Yada" vs #include <Yada> lines).

I believe that's because that section is going from a String, to a '<' followed by an Identifier followed by a '>'. If I teach the grammar about the preprocessor or about #includes, then it behaves as you expect.

I haven't found a grammar entry I'm happy with, though. After playing with this, it seemed like having a preprocessor rule would be good, so I tried to make one for my general use. I can't get it to stop short of consuming comments. I'm using:

^\s*#.+

I figured that I could get the comments by placing that rule either before or after the comment rules, but it seems to grab the whole line regardless. Any suggestions?

Comment

Michael is correct. Cirrus compares the character type (string/comment/identifier) in addition to the character value, so identical characters can appear as differences if they're different types.

It looks like MSVC's syntax highlighting works by flagging <xxx> as a string if it's part of a #include directive, which would be best, but our parser can't support that. A decent alternative would be to create explicit #include "Compiler Directive" grammar items with these regular expressions:

^\s*#include\s+".*"
      ^\s*#include\s+<.*>

For some reason the "List" grammar category's "Regular Expression" option isn't working right, so you'll need to add those as two "Basic" regular expressions.
      ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Great thanks! (I didn't even know the grammar was customizable so that was a nice surprise).

I ended up using these 2 new Grammar (Compiler Directive) regexes:

^\s*#include\s+"[^"]*"
        ^\s*#include\s+\<[^\>]*\>

(The [^\>]* handles comments like e.g. #include <Yada> //Yada>yada properly).

Comment

Working...
        X