X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom
    started a topic User interface oddities

User interface oddities

Here's a weird one -- I tried an alt-PrtScn to capture just the Cirrus window, but it was as if there's an invisible dialog centered over the window and I only got a small area. (The capture was for my next post below -- for some reason the board's not letting me attach more than one pic.)

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom View Post
    maybe there's a way to see more of the dir tree when the buttons are visible too.
    My mockup was intended to show what difference a collapsable button pad could make in a minimally sized window. The way to see more of the dir tree when the buttons are visible is for the user to use a bigger window, or for the Scooter team to redesign how the tabbed control works.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
    I pasted the links in IE and it opened them just fine...so I didn't realize I had mis-keyed the slashes.
    IE's pretty forgiving -- that's both good and bad, because it can teach newbies bad habits. (I know you're not a newbie, FWIW, Michael.)

The collapsible or dockable button bar is a neat approach -- it does give more room to the details panel and the treeview -- but maybe there's a way to see more of the dir tree when the buttons are visible too. It just "feels" cramped since the first two levels of nesting are often descriptive, meaning the actual items of interest are often indented a couple times already.

I know it's a lot more work to simulate a treeview, so if that's the only reason you didn't depict it as being wider that's not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris View Post
    The reason they aren't showing is because the slashes in your URLs are backwards.
    Oops! Can't believe that one slipped by. I pasted the links in IE and it opened them just fine...so I didn't realize I had mis-keyed the slashes.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Michael,

The reason they aren't showing is because the slashes in your URLs are backwards.

If you change the \ slashes to a / instead, it should work.

Pinned:

Unpinned:

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Tim (Scooter)

The images are not showing in my last post. Could you look into it please? In the mean time, here are some hyperlinks:

Pinned
    Unpinned

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Pinned New Session Button Panel

have you considered Visual Studio's dockable controls that can be pinned open
    On second thought, I think that perhaps it is the button panel that could be expanded or collapsed. If someone is using the session tree, they could collapse the new session button panel to give the session tree more real estate.

See mockup's below

P.S. In the mockup, I used Microsoft Smartphone font: nina.ttf
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 19-Dec-2007, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Well, it won't buy much screen space, but now that I see it, it looks okay.
    Nice job on the mock-up! That's definitely what I was thinking of. I dunno whether I'll leave Session Management active or not, but I'm just thinking that the treeview needs a little more real estate overall. No huge rush on a resolution, but I just wanted to run the thought past everybody for consideration.

"Compare: folder compare" is a little like a "PIN number" (Personal ID Number number) or ATM machine.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    I am in favor of having the Home page configurable. Perhaps users will be able to include/exclude and position the various elements.
    I'm not sure how I would like it...but have you considered Visual Studio's dockable controls that can be pinned open on the right hand side, or unpinned to let them collapse into the right margin?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Well, it won't buy much screen space, but now that I see it, it looks okay.
    Obviously the headings will need to be in a smaller font so they don't bump into each other...

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Yes, I should have said I'm open to your suggestion for cases where session management is turned off, but I also am interested in the best layout for when it's on.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    We originally had a user-dragable vertical splitter between the session tree and the specs (session management tabs), but we dropped it in favor of the program trying to manage available space automatically. We also considered dropping "Compare", "Sync", etc from the buttons (as you suggest) or the button images when space is real tight, but we never got around to implementing that.

Another thought might be to place the tree over top of the specs so they both have room to grow horizontally for those deeply nested paths.
    If the specs are below the session tree, that would make the tree pretty short vertically in 768 pixels.

Another space-saving possibility for people who like the session management tabs visible on the home page is to drop the buttons altogether and depend on the Edit Session Defaults part of the session tree to launch new empty sessions. Sort of like the BC2 Session Open dialog.

While in general I'm hesitant to add options to Cirrus, I am in favor of having the Home page configurable. Perhaps users will be able to include/exclude and position the various elements.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    That might not help Tom since he has the "session management" tabs visible.
    Yes, I realize he does... but a change like this might just might make deselecting the "Include session management" option more useful/appealing to users that don't care about seeing the session management details when they are not actively configuring a session.

I have the "Include session management" option checked. But I might just change it if this enhancement were implemented. Without it, there isn't enough to gain by making the change. With it, there are distinct advantages either way a user has it configured.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Thanks, Michael. That might not help Tom since he has the "session management" tabs visible.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Bulgrien
    replied
    How come?
    Personal preference. It is more explicit. I think it is slightly more user friendly for new/novice users...a user knows exactly what type of session the button will launch instead of having to derive it from the groupbox heading...not that reading the groupbox heading is a difficult effort.

Do you have an example of this? I can't picture it.
    Instead of this:

Something like this:

...where a pencil icon will edit/manage the session, and an open book icon (or perhaps the scooter "wheel" icon) will open the session in a compare window.
    Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 18-Dec-2007, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X