X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheBrenda
    Journeyman
    • May 2009

Compare Excel xls not allowing to align

I am comparing two excel spreadsheets. I can get them in csv, xls, or xlsx. But I need to be able to align the rows. I right click but do not get normal contect menu. I just downloaded BC 3. I am at a client site and they are runnign windows server 2007?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

By default, Excel or CSV files would open in the Data Compare. The Data Compare uses the current "Key" column(s) to determine alignment; default to col 1. Right click the column header for any column to set as a Key, Standard, or Unimportant.

You can instead open CSV files in the Text Compare, which would have the Align With command. Excel files can also be opened in the Text Compare, but need an extra install, in the Alternative Formats section: http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...kb_moreformats
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TheBrenda
      Journeyman
      • May 2009

how do i enable editting?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We do not support editing Excel files. The conversion process uses your copy of Excel to convert and show the file, but does not provide us a way to save back in the original format. Since we cannot save back as Excel, we disable editing.

If you need to edit, I recommend converting the files in Excel to .CSV first, then opening the CSV's in BC3.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TheBrenda
          Journeyman
          • May 2009

can i apply key columns in csv to control the alignment?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Yes, since CSV files can open in the Data Compare or Text Compare. The Data Compare then uses columns (with Key, Standard or Unimportant settings). The combination of Key columns is then used to perform the alignment with optional but on by default sorting on the Key.

If the file is CSV, the Data Compare supports editing, too. It just has to be a plain text data file and not Excel's binary format.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...