Multiple network folder compare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple network folder compare

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I' am currently looking an idea on how I can make a report of multiple folder compare via BC.

The task is to generate a report to show the differences of multiple network location/path vs. master location.

Appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.

Example:
    \\masterserver vs. \\srvname1\temp
    \\masterserver vs. \\srvname2\temp
    \\masterserver vs. \\srvname3\temp and so on..

Regards.

Hello,

This isn't something supported in the current version, but is on our Customer Wishlist. You would need to use multiple sessions in BC3, each on their own tab or window. Each session can then have the same report type generated, and you could use a .bat file to append the .txt reports together, or view them separately.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. Appreciate.

Currently iam looking to compare multiple location individually vs. Master location and it all works well. I will work on the reporting part and let you know if I have further queries.

God Speed!

Comment

Multiple folder compare

Your suggestion is great, but i dont know where to start to..

Do you mean i create a session with multiple tabs open comparing Masterfolder to multiple folder?

Eg:
        Tab1: \\mastersrv\temp <=> \\srv1\temp
        Tab2: \\mastersrv\temp <=> \\srv2\temp
        Tab3: \\mastersrv\temp <=> \\srv3\temp

then generate a report of those 3 comparisson and merge it in one report?

How am I going to call the session above to generate the report? Thanks for your support.

Comment

Hello,

That depends a bit on if you are using the command line scripting or the graphical interface.

In the interface, you could save 3 Folder Compare sessions, one each for the tabs. Then you can move those sessions into a single folder in the Saved Sessions list on the Home screen. You can right click the folder and launch them all at once. Alternatively, you could also open all 3 in tabs, then use the Session menu -> Save Workspace. A Workspace would save everything currently open, such as tabs, window positions, etc.

Once all 3 tabs are open, you would go to each, go to the Session menu -> Folder Compare Report, and create a .txt report of the layout you want.

If you are using scripting, the script would load a session, generate a report, then load another session and generate another report. Scripting is documented in the Help menu -> Contents (F1), Using Beyond Compare -> Automating with Script.

Either direction will leave you with 3 report.txt files. These could be appended together using a bat file, using something similar to:
          type a.txt >> out.txt
          type b.txt >> out.txt
          type c.txt >> out.txt

If you have any questions, please let us know.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X