Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folder Compare with file name change on one side.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Compare with file name change on one side.

I am trying to use Beyond Compare to validate a migration. Each file name is having an ID number appended to it durring migration. EX (ID XXXX). How can I compare these files that have the (ID XXXX) appended to the filename, with files from my source directory that do not have the (ID XXXX) included in the file name? See screenshot. All files show as no match. I am trying to do a binary comparison of the two directories.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by DevDavid; 19-Jun-2012, 09:07 AM.

Hello,

You can use the BC3 Pro feature to align files of different names using the Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab: Alignment Overrides. Here is one example override. It assumes the ID is on the left.
    (.*) \(ID \d+\)\.xlsx
    $1.xlsx
    Regular Expression Enabled.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-Jun-2012, 01:35 PM. Reason: Altered example from .txt to .xlsx
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for your help Aaron.
      I have now upgraded to the pro version. I am having a hard time coming up with a regular expression that will work for me. The differences in the file are that it has the appended (IDXXXXX) and sometimes there is an added (r) after the file extention. The files have random extentions, and are not all xls.
      Thanks,
      Last edited by DevDavid; 19-Jun-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Let me try to clarify. Aaron, the Regular expression you listed in your post above works great if all documents are .xlsx. The problem I am having is that the folders have tens of thousands of files with a wide aray of extensions. How can I get it to align the files regardless of extension, without running a compare one extension at a time?
        Thanks,

Comment

How does this work for you?
          (.*) \(ID \d+\)\.(.*)
          $1.$2
          Regular Expression

The (r) should just mean that the files are Read-Only. You can right click the column area (Name, Size, Modified) and add the Attributes column to pull that information out of there.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Works great. Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X