X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Borut
    Visitor
    • May 2012

Created time stamp

I am using BC for many years now. In the following I am referring to the version 3.3.4 Pro Edition for Windows, running under Windows XP Home Edition SP3. I am also referring solely to comparing and copying/synchronising files between local drives on a single machine (although these are virtual truecrypt drives in my case, but this should not be of importance). All file systems are NTSF.

Recently (all too late, in fact) I became aware of the fact that while copying files, BC does not preserve the "Created" time stamp (BTW, directory time stamps are not important to me, just file time stamps, of which "Modified" is preserved and "Last accessed" is of no much use per definition). To my surprise, I was also not able to find any setting that could optionally bring the BC to preserve this time stamp.

Since I would very much like to use BC further (actually, it would be very hard not to use it) and at the same time the preservation of the original file's "Created" time stamp became quite important for me, I have the following questions:
    • Is my finding correct - "Created" time stamp is not being preserved?
    • Is there any option for preserving "Created" time stamp already?
    • If no, is there any plan to implement such an option?

I understand that there is a logic in that "Created" time stamp of a newly created file reflects what the time stamp created by OS. Nevertheless, I am asking about this option, because two other essential tools I use in my daily work indeed do optionally support the preservation of "Created" time stamp, so this is technically feasible: XYplorer file explorer and Siren image file renaming tool.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Borut
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 does not currently support preserving, comparing, or setting the Created timestamp. It is on our Customer Wishlist to add these features, but it is not currently scheduled development. We're in the middle of a few other large projects right now, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to be added soon, but it is something we are aware of.

Thanks for your input. If you have any other questions/suggestions at all, please let us know.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jof
      Enthusiast
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Aaron
      BC3 does not currently support preserving, comparing, or setting the Created timestamp. It is on our Customer Wishlist to add these features, but it is not currently scheduled development. We're in the middle of a few other large projects right now, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to be added soon, but it is something we are aware of.
      Hi Aaron,

While I can appreciate how busy you are with "large projects", I would love to see this slipped into the next version - I've waited a long time.
      It is trivially a few lines of code to implement this in C - after copy, read date from source side and set date on target side.
      For Delphi, see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...indows-propert
      and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...file-in-delphi
      I appreciate FTP copies could be problematic and you probably like to test features thoroughly first which takes significant time, but I for one would be quite willing to use this feature "at my own risk" if you forgo testing.

Thanks.
      Last edited by jof; 09-Aug-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback, jof. We'll take this into consideration, but as you have mentioned, while the code might be easier to implement, the impact is not as easy to handle.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Borut
          Visitor
          • May 2012

Any news on this one?

Thanks for reconsidering.
          Borut

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Nothing new to report at this time. If we are able to add it in, it would certainly appear in the Changelog with new release notes.
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/ChangeLog.txt
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jof
              Enthusiast
              • Nov 2009

still waiting...

Hi,
              Disappointed but not surprised to see this did not make it into the latest release.
              Just a reminder that this is still a very much needed feature for me.

Comment

• grindax
                Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

I would also like to see preservation of all timestamps.

Comment

• bcdewul
                  Old Hand
                  • Sep 2010

Me too !
                  I think this is indeed something important.
                  Have to investigate all kinds of competitive products for this purpose...
                  Robocopy, Teracopy, Fastcopy, Richcopy, rsync, cwsync, double commander...
                  Beyond Compare should have this option.

ps: GoodSync does not change folder date, neither Synkron.
                  However, I am not in favour of installing other software for something Beyond Compare ought to be able to.
                  (btw: these last two tools does not any option for context menu, nor drag and drop)
                  ==
                  Last edited by bcdewul; 15-May-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• crashnburn
                    Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by bcdewul
                    Me too !

However, I am not in favour of installing other software for something Beyond Compare ought to be able to.
                    (btw: these last two tools does not any option for context menu, nor drag and drop)
                    ==
                    Honestly, for something so small it should not take so many years of people asking for it to be implemented. It's a core feature.

Comment

• crashnburn
                      Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Aaron
                      Thanks for the feedback, jof. We'll take this into consideration, but as you have mentioned, while the code might be easier to implement, the impact is not as easy to handle.
                      What kind of IMPACT is not easy to handle? Care to elaborate?

Add it as an OPTIONAL beta feature if there is some issue?

Comment

• crashnburn
                        Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2011

Me too !

==
                        I use both TeraCopy and RichCopy in multisteps. Its a pain as I compare in BC and then have to go use 2 other tools for something that should take ONE click.

To do it effectively:
                        - TeraCopy 2.1.2 Pro for Copying works - Has a small Gap, some/ few Folders that get created on the other DRIVE, do not CARRY OVER the CREATED Date. Wierd quirk
                        - RichCopy - I use this with CREATE FOLDERS and PRESERVE Time Stamps settings. It takes care of the FOLDERS TimeStamps that get messed.

It will take some practice to get this down.

Do share if you find another workflow that works conveniently.

Comment

• bcdewul
                          Old Hand
                          • Sep 2010

Thanks. I installed RichCopy, but cud not find the "CREATE FOLDERS and PRESERVE Time Stamps settings "
                          Anyway, I think Beyond Compare should be able to do this...
                          Thanks again.
                          =

Comment

• bcdewul
                            Old Hand
                            • Sep 2010

Who knows, maybe one day, with version 5, it will be implemented ..
                            Problem is that I think it is under controle of Windows and only counts for new folders.
                            So Beyond Compare should then f
                            - first determine whether it is a new folder (which is already done when comparing)
                            - store the 'old' folderdates before creating new ones
                            - do the copy
                            - redate the new folders to the old ones

or something like that..

Comment

• crashnburn
                              Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2011

Thanks. I installed RichCopy, but cud not find the "CREATE FOLDERS and PRESERVE Time Stamps settings "
                              Anyway, I think Beyond Compare should be able to do this...
                              Thanks again.
                              =
                              Advanced Settings.

Comment

Working...