Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does file transfer halts when scanning ensues in another instance of BC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does file transfer halts when scanning ensues in another instance of BC?

To make the question clearer - let's say I have one instance of Beyond Compare running where I am copying files from one location to another. I want to transfer files between other folders, so I open up a second instance of Beyond Compare and load the two folders. When the software start scanning, the file transfer in the first instance halts.

I am wondering if this is normal behaviour, and why does it occur.

Launching a new BC4 window will load as a single instance unless /solo is used to separate them. By joining, this allows the windows to communicate with each other (dragging tabs, updating status, etc).

Usually, if you perform multiple actions, they will perform simultaneously. Some exceptions include things like FTP Profiles, which can limit the number of connections. Are either of the locations you are using FTPs, and is the number of connections set to 1? If you update a Profile, I suggest a quick restart of BC4 to make sure the new profile settings are used instead of cached settings in another window or tab.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I am comparing two folders on a remote server, would that be the issue then? Is BC only able to have one connection to the server at a time?

Comment

Yes, Beyond Compare's default settings only allow 1 connection to each FTP/FTPS/SFTP server that is shared across all tabs/windows.

To increase the connection limit:
        Open Tools > Profiles (Beyond Compare > Profiles on Mac).
        Select the Profile of your FTP/FTPS/SFTP server.
        Go to the Connection tab.
        Uncheck Use default.
        Increase the Simultaneous Connections value, then Save.
        Restart Beyond Compare.

Not all FTP/FTPS/SFTP servers support multiple connections. Also, Beyond Compare has a known bug that can cause instability when simultaneous connections is set to a high value. It's on the todo list to be fixed, but until then setting the value to 1 if you experience crashes is the only workaround.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Great, thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X