Files on a memory card appear to be read only since upgrade to win 10 1903

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files on a memory card appear to be read only since upgrade to win 10 1903

I recently upgraded from Windows 10 1803 to 1903 and since then files on my SDXC memory cards appear to be read only in Beyond Compare 3.

I can delete files in explorer but not in BC.

Can I change something to fix it?

zigzag

Hello,

What error text do you see when you issue the delete command in BC3?

Which version of BC3 are you running? All 3.x updates are free for 3.x users, so you can update to 3.3.13 for free, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl3_en

Are you using the same base folder syntax in the location bar of Explorer and in BC3?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron,

Thank you for your reply. The version of BC3 that I'm using is the latest one 3.3.13. I have done some further tests.

I don't see any error but the option to copy or move or rename or delete a file is not available in BC3 menus and the icons at the top are greyed out.

The issue appears to be with all USB connected drives. I have the same issue with a memory stick and an external hard drive conncted via USB.

I can copy, rename or delete files on these drives using Windows Explorer but not with Beyond Compare V3.3.13.

I found a web site that made some suggestions as to how to fix this by setting a registry key StorageDevicePolicies and Subkey WriteProtect but this has not made any difference.

I have downloaded and tested version 4 since I posted the message. It works and is able to write, rename and delete files on a USB conncted drives.

I am currently using the free trial period with BC4 but I actually prefer the user interface on BC3 so would prefer to continue with that.

Kevin

Comment

Hello,

If the items are greyed out, it sounds like a BC3 configuration. In the Folder Compare, if you look at the bottom status bar, is Editing Disabled for either side? In the Session Settings, Specs tab, is Disable Editing enabled for either side?

How are you launching BC3? If you launch from the core shortcut, then load a new, blank Folder Compare, then use the Browse button to navigate to the folder, does this change behavior?

BC4's interface has a few tweaks artistically, to help with varying DPI and high res displays, and a little re-organization of the Home screen, but otherwise is similar to BC3, especially in the viewers. If you give it a little time, you might get used to it.

If you are still having trouble with BC3, please email in your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export, to support@scootersoftware.com along with a link back to this forum thread, and a full screen screenshot showing the problem side.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron,

That was it! All the saved sessions open with "Disable Editing" turned on. I have no idea why as I have never used that setting. I almost always used saved settings.

Thank you for your help.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X