How to ignore orphaned lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ignore orphaned lines?

When I compare two folders I have the option to show Diffs, Left orphans, Right orphans, no orphans etc. VERY useful. I am currently working to diagnose two CentOS 7 machines. On one I can compile a particular program and on the other one I cannot. I have two lists containing the packages installed on each machine. I am comparing the files in BC. I would like to ignore orphans on one machine as it has a lot of extra software installed. I am trying to focus on only differences as I believe I have a package version issue.

Is there any way to view only lines which are different between two files?

TIA,

Ken

Yea, in the upper status bar where you can switch between All, Differences, Same: right-click and switch from Favorites to Toggles. You can then toggle on or off individual different types (Left, Right, Diffs (Both)) as well as Same, in any combination.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you Aaron!

That will help tremendously.

Ken

p.s. Beyond Compare came through although not as I described in my original post. I find that if I dowlnload and unpack the source code tarball for the latest release I can compile and install the program (HandBrake - a video decoder). If I clone git hub per the instructions on the HandBrake web site I cannot compile it. Beyond Compare shows me a LOT of differences between what is in git hub and what is in the tarball. Thanks to all at Scooter Software for a fantastic product.

Comment

Appreciated! Comparing two similar code bases (in any location or archive) is a core scenario we intend to handle well.

If it helps, you can update the Importance of items in a child Text Compare session from the Folder Compare, and Use for all files in parent session, to provide a customized layer of Importance/Unimportance for a Folder Compare's Rules-based scan. This could help limit the results returned in the Folder Compare to only files that contain differences you consider Important for review.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X