Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Not Use "Modified" As Diff Criteria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Not Use "Modified" As Diff Criteria?

I suppose this topic has already been beaten half to death, but I can't find anything, so here goes...

I'm doing a multi-TB data migration, and many of the copied filed come up on the difference list seemingly just because their "Modified" stamps differ.

The Questions:

- Is my suspicion reasonable, or could I have done something at copy time
    (Windows drag/drop...) that introduced other diffs?

- If they are probably the same, is there a way to remove the "Modified" stamp
    from the criterial used to determine difference status?

- Might there be a way within BeyondCompare to do the copies that preserves "Modified".
    There is no immediate deadline on this task, so the copies could be done over again.

Hello Pete,

Beyond Compare's copy normally does try to preserve the last modified timestamp during a copy. Are you finding that all copied files fail to have the timestamp preserved, or only some?

When copying to some devices (usually a NAS or FTP), the timestamp gets updated to the time of the transfer. This can sometimes be 'fixed' by manually using our Touch command on a selection of files, and copying the timestamp from one side to the other. One method you could use to do this/verify:
    set to Show Differences
    select the different files, and run a Content Compare: Binary, to verify they are equal and
    if equal, use the touch command to set the timestamp equal from the other side.

We have an option to re-copy the now updated "time of transfer" timestamp back to the source file, as a means of keeping them equal, but only the manual method to propagate the older timestamp (if it isn't preserved during the normal copy).
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_ftpdifferent

The comparison status can be changed in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab. Here you could disable timestamp and use only size (which, depending on your data, may not be an accurate enough method, since files can have the same size but be different), or use a binary or rules-based scan.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame

Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Beyond Compare's copy normally does try to preserve the last modified timestamp during a copy. Are you finding that all copied files fail to have the timestamp preserved, or only some?
      Not all but a log more than "only some". But I did not use Beyond Compare to do the copy.... and I think I'll take a step back and remedy that situation tonite.

When copying to some devices (usually a NAS or FTP), the timestamp gets updated to the time of the transfer.
      Sounds like it's something in that vein. The files were copied form a NAS box to local hard drives via a Windows drag/drop copy. On the files I've spot-checked, the diffs are only a matter of seconds - usually less than 10, with the new versions being the later ones.

This can sometimes be 'fixed' by manually using our Touch command on a selection of files, and copying the timestamp from one side to the other. One method you could use to do this/verify:
      set to Show Differences
      select the different files, and run a Content Compare: Binary, to verify they are equal and
      if equal, use the touch command to set the timestamp equal from the other side.

We have an option to re-copy the now updated "time of transfer" timestamp back to the source file, as a means of keeping them equal, but only the manual method to propagate the older timestamp (if it isn't preserved during the normal copy).
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_ftpdifferent

The comparison status can be changed in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab. Here you could disable timestamp and use only size (which, depending on your data, may not be an accurate enough method, since files can have the same size but be different), or use a binary or rules-based scan.
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame

Please let us know if you have any questions.
      That'll hold me for now.... Thanks! Considering support, functionality, and the UI BeyondCompare is the classiest product I've every used.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        The comparison status can be changed in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab. Here you could disable timestamp and use only size (which, depending on your data, may not be an accurate enough method....
        That was the ticket for this situation. Instead of disabling the timestamp compare altogether, I just used "second tolerance" dropdown to make it ignore all diffs less than 30 seconds.

In this case, as long as the sizes are the same, that's good enough for me. These are all recorded TV show files - so the integrity of the data isn't exactly a world-shaking issue.... -).

Comment

Working...
        X