14128 FTP Profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14128 FTP Profiles

1) Tools, FTP profiles takes around 8secs to execute here, with 26 profiles and on a 3.3GHz P4. THis seems unduly slow. Is it expected?

2) Is there a faster way to change the current FTP settings? This arises every time I use to a new server that requires setting debug.

3) What's the minimum required to get a change to FTP profile settings to take effect on the current session?

4) How do I arrange the same FTP settings to be used for all users on a given server?

Thanks.

Hello,

1) Please email your current BCSupport.zip to support@scootersoftware.com along with a link back to this forum thread. I would not expect 26 profiles to take more than a second to load.

2) What settings do you need to change on the fly? There is not quicker method than going to the FTP Profile and editing the settings there.

3) This depends on the settings changed. Usually applying the settings is enough, but you may need to perform a Full Refresh or start a new session. Improving this is something on our list.

4) Do you mean all users are accessing the same installation of Beyond Compare 3? You would need them to Import their settings if it is a normal install; as a Portable install they would share all of their settings.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> 1) Please email your current BCSupport.zip

OK - I have just found it seems dependent on some OS state so I shall investigate further first.
      UPDATE: This delay doesn't occur (i.e. time is ~1s) immediately after OS launch and doesn't occur on a second machine.

> 2) What settings do you need to change on the fly?

Simultaneous connections, Passive mode etc. as go through a debugging process on most new servers.

> There is not quicker
      > method than going to the FTP Profile and editing the settings there.

OK, thanks.

> 3) This depends on the settings changed. Usually applying the settings is
      > enough, but you may need to perform a Full Refresh or start a new session.
      > Improving this is something on our list.

What is the minimum required for any setting change?

> 4) Do you mean all users are accessing the same installation of Beyond
      > Compare 3?

No, I meant all FTP usernames at a given server.

Thanks.
      Last edited by chrisjj; 11-Jan-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
        What is the minimum required for any setting change?
        Most of the settings are read from the profile once, when creating the FTP connection, so changes won't take effect until a full refresh or loading a new session. About the only things that take effect immediately are the items on the "Listing" tab (which require a refresh anyway), "Preserve timestamps on upload", "Limit download/upload (Kbps)", and "Transfer type"/"ASCII types" (which don't invalidate existing cached items). I think simultaneous connections will go up with out a full refresh, but decreasing it won't close existing connections.

Making more of the settings take effect immediately is an open issue.

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
        No, I meant all FTP usernames at a given server.
        Each profile is tied to the combination of connection type, username, host, and port, and the only settings sharing supported is the "Use default" checkbox to use the "<default>" profile settings. We don't have a way to share settings past that. Do you have a lot of profiles that would benefit from that?
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Craig - I take it the answer to 3) is then "Full refresh". Faster would be nice I agree, but what I'm looking for is Certain, so Full Refresh is what I'll use in my trail-and-error on server settings.

> the only settings sharing supported is the "Use default"
          > checkbox to use the "<default>" profile settings. We don't have a way to
          > share settings past that. Do you have a lot of profiles that would benefit from
          > that?

Not many, but that includes every one that shares a host. I would rather avoid the current error-prone copying of host setting changes between user-specific profiles.

My feature request: Allow save of profile having blank 'user', for BC to use on as any same-host+port connection which there's not a user-ed profile.
          Last edited by chrisjj; 18-Mar-2014, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

I'll certainly add this to our Customer Wishlist notes on improving our FTP Profiles. I'll throw in a note about cloning a profile, too.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> I'll certainly add this to our Customer Wishlist notes on improving our FTP Profiles.

Thanks.

> I'll throw in a note about cloning a profile, too.

Sorry if I was unclear but cloning is not at all what I suggested. I suggested host+port-specific profiles that will render per-user cloning unecessary.

Comment

No worries, I made two separate entries. The host+port-only would help with the separate user accounts from a common host; a clone (or Save As) would help if you wanted to quickly duplicate almost all of the settings, but then change a couple (instead of manually re-filling in each entry).
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  a clone (or Save As) would help if you wanted to quickly duplicate almost all of the settings, but then change a couple (instead of manually re-filling in each entry).
                  I fail to see the relevance to this thread, but but all means suggest it

Comment

Working...
                  X