How to hotkey open with action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hotkey open with action

I like to play tracks I'm sorting to decide to keep/kill, etc. Is there a way to avoid the tedious right menu click click click and set a hotkey or quick click action to simply play a track straight up?
    Thanks for any help!

To assign a keyboard shortcut to an Open With command in Beyond Compare:

Open Tools > Options.
    Go to the Open With section.
    Click + to create a new Open With command or the gear icon to edit an existing command.
    Left click in the Shortcut field, then hit a key combination for a shortcut.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks, didn't work. How can I tell it to use a certain program, VLC player, to play the file when I use the hotkey? Sorry, total noob here, but not completely stupid either.
      Do I need to put something in command line? I am lost.

Comment

To define VLC player as an Open With application in Beyond Compare 4:

In Beyond Compare, open Tools > Options.
        Go to the Open With section.
        Click +.
        Description: VLC Player
        Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "%f"
        Check Accepts files.
        Left click in Shortcut, hold down Shift+Ctrl+P to assign the shortcut.
        Click OK until you're back to the main BC window.

Load folders containing the files you want to play in the Folder Compare.
        Select a file, then use Shift+Ctrl+P to play it in VLC Player.

When defining an Open With command, the variable %f passes the filename and path.

You can also right click on a file in the Folder Compare and select Open With > VLC Player.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Hot damn, it works. But why on earth would anyone choose to have to wrangle with three keys instead of one? I just used ENTER.
          Muchas gracias, this is gonna save me oodles of stress and time!

Comment

Some hotkeys do not support overriding behavior, and will launch the child File Viewer (Text Compare, MP3 Compare, etc) defined in the file formats. Adding this additional command opens any specific program, but requires the new hotkey to avoid conflicting with the default behavior. Allowing an option to launch associated applications instead of file views is something on our wishlist.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X