Comparing a flat folder to a complex folder structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing a flat folder to a complex folder structure

I cannot figure out how to get BC to compare a flat folder with lots of files to a folder structure with subfolders that contain files with the same file name but different file type.

Ultimately I want the flat folder files to find their name equivalent in the complex subfolder structure and then move them to the corresponding subfolder.

I can only get this to work when flattening the folder structure in BC - which defeats the purpose - or when selecting each subfolder individually but that's not really useful.

So, what am I doing wrong?

In the Ignore Folder Structure View mode, if two files are aligned because of equal names, then the Copy operation would overwrite the destination side and preserve the folder structure. If the file is an Orphan (not aligned) then it is copied into the base level of the base folder (no folder structure). To override this, you can use the Copy To Folder command to send the selected item to any destination folder.

Are your items aligned in the Flattened view or do they also differ by file name? If only the file name extension differs, and you need them to align, enable the Folder Compare, Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab: enable Align filenames with different extensions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I dont know why they dont line up...?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsHobgvCxgS5nUQItqG_VZxZTfzb

I ticked the ignore file type box.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        In the Ignore Folder Structure View mode, if two files are aligned because of equal names, then the Copy operation would overwrite the destination side and preserve the folder structure..
        Yeah that I need!

Comment

In the screenshot, one side are files while the archive .rars are folders. To alter this behavior and make both files as files (to align), go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Handling tab, and set to Treat Archives as Files. Then also in the Comparison tab Align Files with Different Extensions.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

OMG it works! You’re a friggin genius!

Comment

Working...
            X